Oct 15, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Former Seton Hall commit Aquille Carr is back stateside, but college still is not his destination.
The YouTube sensation has signed a contract with the NBA Development League, and is eligible for the league’s draft next month, his agent Johnny Foster told Gino Pilato of D-League Digest.
“It was his decision to play in the D-League, and to develop in order to get ready for next year’s NBA draft,” Foster told Pilato on Tuesday.
The jump from the D-League to the NBA draft isn’t unheard of. After a junior season at Georgia Tech, filled with off the court incidents, Glen Rice Jr. elected to play in the D-League for a season. After averaging 29.0 points per game in the D-League finals for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, he was drafted No. 35 overall in this summer’s draft. Though the jump for the 5-foot-6 Carr looks to be a bit tougher than it did for the 6-foot-6 Rice.
Carr had originally committed to Seton Hall, but in March decided not to attend college. In June he was offered a contract in China by Tracy McGrady’s former team Qingdao Double Stars. Carr, McGrady and former NBA point guard Jason Williams participated in a Chinese tour in June.
There are 17 D-League franchises, and this is what fans could expect if their team drafts the Crimestopper:
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)