Oct 15, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Former Seton Hall commit Aquille Carr is back stateside, but college still is not his destination.
The YouTube sensation has signed a contract with the NBA Development League, and is eligible for the league’s draft next month, his agent Johnny Foster told Gino Pilato of D-League Digest.
“It was his decision to play in the D-League, and to develop in order to get ready for next year’s NBA draft,” Foster told Pilato on Tuesday.
The jump from the D-League to the NBA draft isn’t unheard of. After a junior season at Georgia Tech, filled with off the court incidents, Glen Rice Jr. elected to play in the D-League for a season. After averaging 29.0 points per game in the D-League finals for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, he was drafted No. 35 overall in this summer’s draft. Though the jump for the 5-foot-6 Carr looks to be a bit tougher than it did for the 6-foot-6 Rice.
Carr had originally committed to Seton Hall, but in March decided not to attend college. In June he was offered a contract in China by Tracy McGrady’s former team Qingdao Double Stars. Carr, McGrady and former NBA point guard Jason Williams participated in a Chinese tour in June.
There are 17 D-League franchises, and this is what fans could expect if their team drafts the Crimestopper:
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)