Oct 15, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
Former Seton Hall commit Aquille Carr is back stateside, but college still is not his destination.
The YouTube sensation has signed a contract with the NBA Development League, and is eligible for the league’s draft next month, his agent Johnny Foster told Gino Pilato of D-League Digest.
“It was his decision to play in the D-League, and to develop in order to get ready for next year’s NBA draft,” Foster told Pilato on Tuesday.
The jump from the D-League to the NBA draft isn’t unheard of. After a junior season at Georgia Tech, filled with off the court incidents, Glen Rice Jr. elected to play in the D-League for a season. After averaging 29.0 points per game in the D-League finals for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, he was drafted No. 35 overall in this summer’s draft. Though the jump for the 5-foot-6 Carr looks to be a bit tougher than it did for the 6-foot-6 Rice.
Carr had originally committed to Seton Hall, but in March decided not to attend college. In June he was offered a contract in China by Tracy McGrady’s former team Qingdao Double Stars. Carr, McGrady and former NBA point guard Jason Williams participated in a Chinese tour in June.
There are 17 D-League franchises, and this is what fans could expect if their team drafts the Crimestopper:
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)