Oct 15, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
On Tuesday afternoon, the Bruins freshman forward Wanaah Bail was granted a waiver by the NCAA to play immediately following his transfer from Texas Tech.
“We are grateful that this matter has come to a conclusion and are very happy for Wanaah,” UCLA head coach Steve Alford said in a statement on Tuesday. “I know that Wanaah is excited to get on the floor with his teammates, and we’re all looking forward to him beginning his collegiate career at UCLA this season.”
When the 6-foot-9 Bail returns to the floor, he will add some much needed depth to the UCLA frontline. The Wear twins return with experience while Tony Parker is reportedly in much better shape for his sophomore season. Although Bail has been cleared by the NCAA, he is still waiting to be cleared for practice after undergoing surgery on his left knee in late June.
Bail was a Rivals150 recruit in the Class of 2012, who originally committed to Billy Gillispie and Texas Tech. However, Bail did not last long in Lubbock, and this past June enrolled at UCLA.
UCLA opens its season on Friday, Nov. 8 at home against Drexel.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)