Oct 16, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Providence head coach Ed Cooley was at Chelsea Piers this afternoon for Big East media, and while he, like most of the coaches that attend those events, didn’t have much to say beyond standard coachspeak, Cooley did enlighten the media on some injury news.
Freshman Brandon Austin suffered a concussion on Tuesday at practice and will be out “maybe a week“.
Austin is an athletic 6-foot-7 freshman from Philly, a talented slasher that can really handle the ball for someone his size. He can play the point if need be, which should allow him to thrive in the Friar’s uptempo offense.
But concussions are the kind of injury that can keep a player out of action for longer than expected. N.C. State freshman Cat Barber suffered a concussion a few weeks back and only returned to practice on Monday.
Missing the early part of practice is tough, especially for a freshman, as that is when the coaching staff implements many of the offensive and defensive scheme. Playing from behind isn’t ideal.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)