Oct 16, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Providence head coach Ed Cooley was at Chelsea Piers this afternoon for Big East media, and while he, like most of the coaches that attend those events, didn’t have much to say beyond standard coachspeak, Cooley did enlighten the media on some injury news.
Freshman Brandon Austin suffered a concussion on Tuesday at practice and will be out “maybe a week“.
Austin is an athletic 6-foot-7 freshman from Philly, a talented slasher that can really handle the ball for someone his size. He can play the point if need be, which should allow him to thrive in the Friar’s uptempo offense.
But concussions are the kind of injury that can keep a player out of action for longer than expected. N.C. State freshman Cat Barber suffered a concussion a few weeks back and only returned to practice on Monday.
Missing the early part of practice is tough, especially for a freshman, as that is when the coaching staff implements many of the offensive and defensive scheme. Playing from behind isn’t ideal.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)