Oct 16, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Providence head coach Ed Cooley was at Chelsea Piers this afternoon for Big East media, and while he, like most of the coaches that attend those events, didn’t have much to say beyond standard coachspeak, Cooley did enlighten the media on some injury news.
Freshman Brandon Austin suffered a concussion on Tuesday at practice and will be out “maybe a week“.
Austin is an athletic 6-foot-7 freshman from Philly, a talented slasher that can really handle the ball for someone his size. He can play the point if need be, which should allow him to thrive in the Friar’s uptempo offense.
But concussions are the kind of injury that can keep a player out of action for longer than expected. N.C. State freshman Cat Barber suffered a concussion a few weeks back and only returned to practice on Monday.
Missing the early part of practice is tough, especially for a freshman, as that is when the coaching staff implements many of the offensive and defensive scheme. Playing from behind isn’t ideal.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)