Oct 16, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Providence head coach Ed Cooley was at Chelsea Piers this afternoon for Big East media, and while he, like most of the coaches that attend those events, didn’t have much to say beyond standard coachspeak, Cooley did enlighten the media on some injury news.
Freshman Brandon Austin suffered a concussion on Tuesday at practice and will be out “maybe a week“.
Austin is an athletic 6-foot-7 freshman from Philly, a talented slasher that can really handle the ball for someone his size. He can play the point if need be, which should allow him to thrive in the Friar’s uptempo offense.
But concussions are the kind of injury that can keep a player out of action for longer than expected. N.C. State freshman Cat Barber suffered a concussion a few weeks back and only returned to practice on Monday.
Missing the early part of practice is tough, especially for a freshman, as that is when the coaching staff implements many of the offensive and defensive scheme. Playing from behind isn’t ideal.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)