Oct 16, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Providence head coach Ed Cooley was at Chelsea Piers this afternoon for Big East media, and while he, like most of the coaches that attend those events, didn’t have much to say beyond standard coachspeak, Cooley did enlighten the media on some injury news.
Freshman Brandon Austin suffered a concussion on Tuesday at practice and will be out “maybe a week“.
Austin is an athletic 6-foot-7 freshman from Philly, a talented slasher that can really handle the ball for someone his size. He can play the point if need be, which should allow him to thrive in the Friar’s uptempo offense.
But concussions are the kind of injury that can keep a player out of action for longer than expected. N.C. State freshman Cat Barber suffered a concussion a few weeks back and only returned to practice on Monday.
Missing the early part of practice is tough, especially for a freshman, as that is when the coaching staff implements many of the offensive and defensive scheme. Playing from behind isn’t ideal.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)