Oct 17, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
Just hours after junior college transfer Jameel McKay announced his decision to transfer, Marquette received a verbal commitment from 2014 forward Marial Shayok. Shayok, a 6-foot-6 native of Ottawa, Ontario, attends Blair Academy in New Jersey where he announced his decision. According to many recruiting analysts Marquette and Providence were believed to be Shayok’s top two choices, with the Golden Eagles winning out in the end.
Shayok’s decision comes less than a week after he took his official visit to Marquette, and he becomes the fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class for head coach Buzz Williams. Shayok joins forward Malek Harris and guards Ahmed Hill and Sandy Cohen as players verbally committed to the Big East school. Shayok, who possesses a good skill set that includes a solid perimeter stroke, is listed as being 6-foot-6 but according to multiple outlets he’s still growing.
Shayok helped lead Blair to the finals of the New Jersey Prep A tournament, scoring 21 points in the team’s 64-45 semifinal win over Lawrenceville Academy. Blair fell in the title game to St. Benedict’s Prep, which at the time featured Tyler Ennis (now a freshman at Syracuse) and Isaiah Briscoe (one of the top players in the 2015 class who now attends Roselle (N.J.) Catholic).
Shayok’s commitment gives Marquette additional depth at the small forward position with Jamil Wilson graduating after the 2013-14 season. But even with this news the Golden Eagles are still in a position where they need to add some more size, with McKay’s decision to transfer and both Davante Gardner and Chris Otule out of eligibility after this season.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)