Oct 17, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
Jameel McKay has left the Marquette basketball program before ever suiting up for them in a game.
“After long talk with family I will be transferring from MU great place and program now I’m looking forward to searching for a new Home,” McKay wrote on twitter. “I appreciate coaching staff and fans no hard feelings at all GoodLuck to them this year!”
McKay transferred to Marquette from Indian Hills Community College, where he was one of the best JuCo recruits in the country. Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com ranked him No. 3 in the class, and the 6-foot-8 McKay would have been one of the best rebounders in the Big East in his two years there if he had stayed.
The reason for his transfer remains unclear, but it may have had something to do with a front court that was already quite deep. Davante Gardner, a first-team all-Big East preseason selection, and Chris Otule figured to get the majority of the minutes at the center spot, and with Jamil Wilson and Steve Taylor also on the roster, there was not a ton of playing time available.
Had McKay fallen to the bottom of Buzz Williams’ depth chart?
The Golden Eagles are ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)