Oct 17, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
Jameel McKay has left the Marquette basketball program before ever suiting up for them in a game.
“After long talk with family I will be transferring from MU great place and program now I’m looking forward to searching for a new Home,” McKay wrote on twitter. “I appreciate coaching staff and fans no hard feelings at all GoodLuck to them this year!”
McKay transferred to Marquette from Indian Hills Community College, where he was one of the best JuCo recruits in the country. Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com ranked him No. 3 in the class, and the 6-foot-8 McKay would have been one of the best rebounders in the Big East in his two years there if he had stayed.
The reason for his transfer remains unclear, but it may have had something to do with a front court that was already quite deep. Davante Gardner, a first-team all-Big East preseason selection, and Chris Otule figured to get the majority of the minutes at the center spot, and with Jamil Wilson and Steve Taylor also on the roster, there was not a ton of playing time available.
Had McKay fallen to the bottom of Buzz Williams’ depth chart?
The Golden Eagles are ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)