Oct 17, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
Jameel McKay has left the Marquette basketball program before ever suiting up for them in a game.
“After long talk with family I will be transferring from MU great place and program now I’m looking forward to searching for a new Home,” McKay wrote on twitter. “I appreciate coaching staff and fans no hard feelings at all GoodLuck to them this year!”
McKay transferred to Marquette from Indian Hills Community College, where he was one of the best JuCo recruits in the country. Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com ranked him No. 3 in the class, and the 6-foot-8 McKay would have been one of the best rebounders in the Big East in his two years there if he had stayed.
The reason for his transfer remains unclear, but it may have had something to do with a front court that was already quite deep. Davante Gardner, a first-team all-Big East preseason selection, and Chris Otule figured to get the majority of the minutes at the center spot, and with Jamil Wilson and Steve Taylor also on the roster, there was not a ton of playing time available.
Had McKay fallen to the bottom of Buzz Williams’ depth chart?
The Golden Eagles are ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)