Oct 17, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
Jameel McKay has left the Marquette basketball program before ever suiting up for them in a game.
“After long talk with family I will be transferring from MU great place and program now I’m looking forward to searching for a new Home,” McKay wrote on twitter. “I appreciate coaching staff and fans no hard feelings at all GoodLuck to them this year!”
McKay transferred to Marquette from Indian Hills Community College, where he was one of the best JuCo recruits in the country. Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com ranked him No. 3 in the class, and the 6-foot-8 McKay would have been one of the best rebounders in the Big East in his two years there if he had stayed.
The reason for his transfer remains unclear, but it may have had something to do with a front court that was already quite deep. Davante Gardner, a first-team all-Big East preseason selection, and Chris Otule figured to get the majority of the minutes at the center spot, and with Jamil Wilson and Steve Taylor also on the roster, there was not a ton of playing time available.
Had McKay fallen to the bottom of Buzz Williams’ depth chart?
The Golden Eagles are ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)