Oct 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Baylor’s front court is absolutely loaded, with Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson, who both decided to return to school, being flanked by the likes of Rico Gathers and Ishmael Wainwright.
Where the Bears are going to be looking to find some production is in their back court. Pierre Jackson graduated, as did A.J. Walton, and Brady Heslip is coming off of a season where he struggled to find the kind of shooting rhythm we expect out of a Brady Heslip. L.J. Rose and Deuce Bello both opted to transfer out of the program, meaning Scott Drew will have plenty of new faces in his back court.
The addition of Kenny Chery, a JuCo transfer, is expected to take over the point guard role, and Gary Franklin should see some minutes on the perimeter as well, but one of the guys that the Bears were going to be counting on for points and minutes was incoming freshman Allerik Freeman, but it will be a while before Freeman sees the court again.
According to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com, Freeman will be out of action for the next six-to-seven weeks due to a hand injury that he suffered in practice. Baylor opens the season on Nov. 8th against Colorado and follows that up with a game against South Carolina on Nov. 12th. If Freeman is able to get back to full strength in six weeks, there’s an outside chance that he’ll be available when the team heads to Hawaii for the Maui Invitational on Nov. 25th.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)