Oct 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Baylor’s front court is absolutely loaded, with Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson, who both decided to return to school, being flanked by the likes of Rico Gathers and Ishmael Wainwright.
Where the Bears are going to be looking to find some production is in their back court. Pierre Jackson graduated, as did A.J. Walton, and Brady Heslip is coming off of a season where he struggled to find the kind of shooting rhythm we expect out of a Brady Heslip. L.J. Rose and Deuce Bello both opted to transfer out of the program, meaning Scott Drew will have plenty of new faces in his back court.
The addition of Kenny Chery, a JuCo transfer, is expected to take over the point guard role, and Gary Franklin should see some minutes on the perimeter as well, but one of the guys that the Bears were going to be counting on for points and minutes was incoming freshman Allerik Freeman, but it will be a while before Freeman sees the court again.
According to a report from Jon Rothstein of CBSSports.com, Freeman will be out of action for the next six-to-seven weeks due to a hand injury that he suffered in practice. Baylor opens the season on Nov. 8th against Colorado and follows that up with a game against South Carolina on Nov. 12th. If Freeman is able to get back to full strength in six weeks, there’s an outside chance that he’ll be available when the team heads to Hawaii for the Maui Invitational on Nov. 25th.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)