Oct 17, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
With the NCAA denying Rakeem Buckles’ request for an immediate eligibility waiver (Buckles thus returned to FIU), Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino found himself in need of some additional size entering his first season at the Big Ten school. On Thursday the Golden Gophers received some good news from the NCAA, as Drake transfer Joey King had his request for an immediate eligibility waiver granted.
The news was first reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
In his lone season at Drake, King posted averages of 6.9 points and 6.9 points and 2.9 rebounds in 19 minutes of action per game. King’s best performance came in a 77-65 loss to Missouri State in which he accounted for 21 points and seven rebounds. For the season the 6-foot-9 Eagan, Minn. native reached double digits in scoring ten times and reached double digits in rebounds twice (career-high 11 boards in a win over Illinois State on January 12). For his efforts King was named to the Missouri Valley Conference’s All-Freshman Team.
King being cleared gives Minnesota a total of five interior players entering the 2013-14 season, so it likely goes without saying that he’ll be a part of the rotation. In addition to King the Gophers have three juniors, center Elliot Eliason and forwards Maurice Walker and Oto Osenieks, and redshirt freshman Charles Buggs.
Last season the Golden Gophers were the nation’s best in regards to offensive rebounding, as they finished the year with an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.8%. Given their lack of depth inside, Minnesota’s backcourt will be asked to lead the way in 2013-14. Veterans Andre and Austin Hollins (not related) and Maverick Ahanmisi and newcomers Dre Mathieu (junior college transfer), Malik Smith (FIU transfer) will be among the players at Pitino’s disposal on the perimeter.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)