Oct 18, 2013, 6:18 PM EST
In late August it was announced by UNLV head coach that while sophomore forward Savon Goodman would remain a member of the UNLV program, he would sit out the entire 2013-14 season in order to properly address off-court issues. Chief among the concerns was an arrest on charges including first degree burglary and grand larceny, with Goodman being accused of stealing sneakers, money and video games from a friend.
However there’s been a change, as UNLV announced on Friday afternoon that Goodman has decided to leave the program.
“I have enjoyed my time at UNLV and am thankful for the support of the fans, my teammates and coaches since I have been here,” Goodman said in the release. “However, I have felt a lot of pressure the last few months. I feel it is best for me to leave the program at this time. Even though I am from Philadelphia, I will always think of Las Vegas as another home.”
Goodman played an average of nine minutes per game last season, accounting for 3.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per contest. With Anthony Bennett now in the NBA and Mike Moser deciding to transfer to Oregon, it looked as if Goodman was in line for an increase in playing time this summer. But then the August arrest occurred, ruling him out for the upcoming season.
Goodman’s preliminary hearing in the case will take place on November 12, and it will be interesting to see where he winds up college-wise.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 4
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 17
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 4
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)