Oct 18, 2013, 6:18 PM EST
In late August it was announced by UNLV head coach that while sophomore forward Savon Goodman would remain a member of the UNLV program, he would sit out the entire 2013-14 season in order to properly address off-court issues. Chief among the concerns was an arrest on charges including first degree burglary and grand larceny, with Goodman being accused of stealing sneakers, money and video games from a friend.
However there’s been a change, as UNLV announced on Friday afternoon that Goodman has decided to leave the program.
“I have enjoyed my time at UNLV and am thankful for the support of the fans, my teammates and coaches since I have been here,” Goodman said in the release. “However, I have felt a lot of pressure the last few months. I feel it is best for me to leave the program at this time. Even though I am from Philadelphia, I will always think of Las Vegas as another home.”
Goodman played an average of nine minutes per game last season, accounting for 3.6 points and 2.4 rebounds per contest. With Anthony Bennett now in the NBA and Mike Moser deciding to transfer to Oregon, it looked as if Goodman was in line for an increase in playing time this summer. But then the August arrest occurred, ruling him out for the upcoming season.
Goodman’s preliminary hearing in the case will take place on November 12, and it will be interesting to see where he winds up college-wise.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)