Oct 18, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
Earlier this week our own Rob Dauster put together a list of some of the nation’s best dunkers entering the 2013-14 season. A good list for sure, but Rhode Island freshman forward Hassan Martin threw down a dunk during URI’s preseason event on Thursday night that merits mention.
Martin did fall to Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta in the finals of the dunk contest, but the between the legs number the Staten Island product completes at the 45-second mark of the below video was impressive. It brought back memories of the dunk Jason Richardson threw down to wrap up the 2003 NBA Slam Dunk Contest title (Richardson’s was off of a lob).
Martin isn’t simply a high flyer either, as he has the skill needed to be one of the best freshmen in the Atlantic 10 for a program many expect to be much improved under second-year head coach Dan Hurley.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)