Oct 18, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
Earlier this week our own Rob Dauster put together a list of some of the nation’s best dunkers entering the 2013-14 season. A good list for sure, but Rhode Island freshman forward Hassan Martin threw down a dunk during URI’s preseason event on Thursday night that merits mention.
Martin did fall to Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta in the finals of the dunk contest, but the between the legs number the Staten Island product completes at the 45-second mark of the below video was impressive. It brought back memories of the dunk Jason Richardson threw down to wrap up the 2003 NBA Slam Dunk Contest title (Richardson’s was off of a lob).
Martin isn’t simply a high flyer either, as he has the skill needed to be one of the best freshmen in the Atlantic 10 for a program many expect to be much improved under second-year head coach Dan Hurley.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)