Oct 18, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
Earlier this week our own Rob Dauster put together a list of some of the nation’s best dunkers entering the 2013-14 season. A good list for sure, but Rhode Island freshman forward Hassan Martin threw down a dunk during URI’s preseason event on Thursday night that merits mention.
Martin did fall to Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta in the finals of the dunk contest, but the between the legs number the Staten Island product completes at the 45-second mark of the below video was impressive. It brought back memories of the dunk Jason Richardson threw down to wrap up the 2003 NBA Slam Dunk Contest title (Richardson’s was off of a lob).
Martin isn’t simply a high flyer either, as he has the skill needed to be one of the best freshmen in the Atlantic 10 for a program many expect to be much improved under second-year head coach Dan Hurley.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)