Oct 18, 2013, 8:57 PM EST
Earlier this week our own Rob Dauster put together a list of some of the nation’s best dunkers entering the 2013-14 season. A good list for sure, but Rhode Island freshman forward Hassan Martin threw down a dunk during URI’s preseason event on Thursday night that merits mention.
Martin did fall to Rutgers transfer Gilvydas Biruta in the finals of the dunk contest, but the between the legs number the Staten Island product completes at the 45-second mark of the below video was impressive. It brought back memories of the dunk Jason Richardson threw down to wrap up the 2003 NBA Slam Dunk Contest title (Richardson’s was off of a lob).
Martin isn’t simply a high flyer either, as he has the skill needed to be one of the best freshmen in the Atlantic 10 for a program many expect to be much improved under second-year head coach Dan Hurley.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)