Oct 18, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Entering his seventh season as the head coach at Santa Clara, Kerry Keating has won 100 games and ranks behind only Gonzaga’s Mark Few and Saint Mary’s head coach Randy Bennett on the list of the most successful coaches in the WCC in the last decade. In two of the last three seasons Keating’s Broncos have won 20-plus games and a postseason tournament title, winning the CollegeInsider.com tournament in 2011 and the CBI last year.
Just three weeks before the Broncos begin their 2013-14 regular season, the school announced that Keating has been rewarded with a multi-year contract extension. Being that Santa Clara’s a private institution, specific terms of the extension haven’t been released.
“We are confident in Coach Keating’s leadership of our basketball program,” Santa Clara AD Dan Coonan said in the release. “In addition to the recent success, I like the youth in the program, the depth of talent and the way they are all buying in. We’ve graduated each of the 17 seniors to go through the program with Coach, but beyond that I love what they are telling us in their exit interviews.
“They relished their time here as student-athletes, they grew as athletes and as people in the program, and they are having the type of transformational life experience that we seek for all our teams. The program is headed in the right direction, and Kerry is the right person to bring us to the next level.”
The Broncos do have some key personnel losses to address entering the 2013-14 campaign, most notably high-scoring guard Kevin Foster, guard Raymond Cowels III and forward Marc Trasolini. But guard Evan Rocquemore, one of the best perimeter players in the WCC, returns for his senior campaign and will be asked to lead Keating’s young squad.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)