Oct 18, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Entering his seventh season as the head coach at Santa Clara, Kerry Keating has won 100 games and ranks behind only Gonzaga’s Mark Few and Saint Mary’s head coach Randy Bennett on the list of the most successful coaches in the WCC in the last decade. In two of the last three seasons Keating’s Broncos have won 20-plus games and a postseason tournament title, winning the CollegeInsider.com tournament in 2011 and the CBI last year.
Just three weeks before the Broncos begin their 2013-14 regular season, the school announced that Keating has been rewarded with a multi-year contract extension. Being that Santa Clara’s a private institution, specific terms of the extension haven’t been released.
“We are confident in Coach Keating’s leadership of our basketball program,” Santa Clara AD Dan Coonan said in the release. “In addition to the recent success, I like the youth in the program, the depth of talent and the way they are all buying in. We’ve graduated each of the 17 seniors to go through the program with Coach, but beyond that I love what they are telling us in their exit interviews.
“They relished their time here as student-athletes, they grew as athletes and as people in the program, and they are having the type of transformational life experience that we seek for all our teams. The program is headed in the right direction, and Kerry is the right person to bring us to the next level.”
The Broncos do have some key personnel losses to address entering the 2013-14 campaign, most notably high-scoring guard Kevin Foster, guard Raymond Cowels III and forward Marc Trasolini. But guard Evan Rocquemore, one of the best perimeter players in the WCC, returns for his senior campaign and will be asked to lead Keating’s young squad.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)