Oct 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
BYU unofficially kicked off its season on Friday night with their “Boom Shakalaka” event that included a dunk contest, three-point contest and skills contest.
With a cool event name and slick lighting and presentation, the video from the dunk contest, in particular, looks really good as America can get a glimpse of BYU freshman big man Eric Mika.
The 6-foot-8 forward from Lone Peak High School in Highland, Utah won the contest with some alley-oops, including one from behind the backboard and the title-winning dunk in which Mika jumped over a mini dirtbike and proceeded to ride it around the court after the dunk.
Contest highlights also included the athleticism of freshman guard Frank Bartley IV and junior forward Josh Sharp jumping over his wife during a dunk and going in for a kiss afterwards as the crowd goes wild.
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- UConn lands former Seton Hall guard Sterling Gibbs, eligible immediately 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)