Oct 19, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
In case it wasn’t obvious already, John Calipari knows how to tell people what they like to hear. If you’re a top-ten basketball talent and you want someone to tell you you’ll be a lottery pick with the right coaching, he can do that. If your stud forward wants to meet Jay-Z or Drake, he can reasonably promise that, as well.
If you’re a fan of the Kentucky Wildcats, he’ll give you goosebumps from the podium, as well.
At Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness event, Calipari stood on a stage that looked like something out of America’s Got Talent, and crooned the words every Wildcats fan wants to hear: ”We don’t just play college basketball, we are college basketball. As you know, we are everyone’s Super Bowl.”
Now, there might be a few other programs in the country who can claim to be Super Bowl caliber opponents, and claiming title to all of the sport’s charms is hubris in the extreme, but Calipari has always been a showman. If cranking up the love inside Rupp equals cranking up the hate outside of Lexington, he’ll take that heat.
Midnight Madness events are full of goofy stunts, as we’ve seen plenty of times already today. Cal might not dance, he might not get shot out of a cannon, and he might not jump out of a perfectly good airplane, but he doesn’t have to. The man brings the electricity to the building without stunts.
Want to see his whole revival tent speech? UKAthletics.com has it:
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 0
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)