Oct 19, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
When Anthony Mitchell thinks his son needs a little push, he whispers a name in his ear.
This might seem strange, since Hobbs is currently the Director of Basketball Operations at UConn, and Akil Mitchell is a senior forward for Tony Bennett at Virginia, but there’s a story behind it all. A story well-told by the Washington Post, reporting from ACC Media Days.
Though he grew up in Charlotte, Mitchell’s family hails from the Washington area and he had his sights set on playing his college basketball there. In the Colonials, led by former Coach Karl Hobbs at the time, he saw a program that appreciated how he blossomed after a late growth spurt during his junior year of high school. Until, that is, George Washington’s coaches called him and his father into an office after he had trekked to Washington for a campus visit. Hobbs informed them he was pulling Mitchell’s scholarship offer, because “he was kind of trying to put a team together that would save the program and he didn’t think I was the guy that would help them right away,” Akil said.
- Latest mixtape for Dennis Smith Jr. shows how talented he is (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1