Oct 20, 2013, 6:16 PM EST
In the last month Southeast Missouri has seen its front court depth take some hits. In late-September senior guard/forward Michael Porter saw his injury-riddled career come to an end, with a labral tear in his right hip requiring a second surgery. And on Saturday it was reported by Catlin Bogard of OVCBall.net that 6-foot-7 sophomore forward Wayne Martin has been dismissed from the program for a violation of team rules.
Martin joined the program as a transfer from UCF last season, paying his own way while sitting out per NCAA transfer rules. But after working hard enough to earn a scholarship, off-court issues led to Martin’s dismissal.
Among Martin’s transgressions was that he reportedly missed classes on a regular basis and that trend continued even after Southeast coaches warned him that he would face consequences if it didn’t stop.
“You hate to lose him. I don’t like to lose any players, but school comes first,” Southeast Missouri head coach Dickey Nutt said. “He’s a great kid. He’s got a great mom and dad. They’re all disappointed, but the bottom line is you’re a student first and then a basketball player.”
Martin played in just 11 games during his one season at UCF, and he wasn’t a player the Redhawks were counting on for major minutes/production this season so this isn’t a major loss. Senior Tyler Stone (15.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg) and junior Nino Johnson (11.1, 8.8) will once again lead the way inside for the Redhawks, who finished the 2012-13 season with a 17-16 record (8-8 OVC).
Southeast Missouri also adds small forwards Jarekious Bradley and Josh Langford (Auburn transfer; eligible at the end of the fall semester) to the rotation this season.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)