Oct 20, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
In the last month Southeast Missouri has seen its front court depth take some hits. In late-September senior guard/forward Michael Porter saw his injury-riddled career come to an end, with a labral tear in his right hip requiring a second surgery. And on Saturday it was reported by Catlin Bogard of OVCBall.net that 6-foot-7 sophomore forward Wayne Martin has been dismissed from the program for a violation of team rules.
Martin joined the program as a transfer from UCF last season, paying his own way while sitting out per NCAA transfer rules. But after working hard enough to earn a scholarship, off-court issues led to Martin’s dismissal.
Among Martin’s transgressions was that he reportedly missed classes on a regular basis and that trend continued even after Southeast coaches warned him that he would face consequences if it didn’t stop.
“You hate to lose him. I don’t like to lose any players, but school comes first,” Southeast Missouri head coach Dickey Nutt said. “He’s a great kid. He’s got a great mom and dad. They’re all disappointed, but the bottom line is you’re a student first and then a basketball player.”
Martin played in just 11 games during his one season at UCF, and he wasn’t a player the Redhawks were counting on for major minutes/production this season so this isn’t a major loss. Senior Tyler Stone (15.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg) and junior Nino Johnson (11.1, 8.8) will once again lead the way inside for the Redhawks, who finished the 2012-13 season with a 17-16 record (8-8 OVC).
Southeast Missouri also adds small forwards Jarekious Bradley and Josh Langford (Auburn transfer; eligible at the end of the fall semester) to the rotation this season.
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)