Oct 20, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
In the last month Southeast Missouri has seen its front court depth take some hits. In late-September senior guard/forward Michael Porter saw his injury-riddled career come to an end, with a labral tear in his right hip requiring a second surgery. And on Saturday it was reported by Catlin Bogard of OVCBall.net that 6-foot-7 sophomore forward Wayne Martin has been dismissed from the program for a violation of team rules.
Martin joined the program as a transfer from UCF last season, paying his own way while sitting out per NCAA transfer rules. But after working hard enough to earn a scholarship, off-court issues led to Martin’s dismissal.
Among Martin’s transgressions was that he reportedly missed classes on a regular basis and that trend continued even after Southeast coaches warned him that he would face consequences if it didn’t stop.
“You hate to lose him. I don’t like to lose any players, but school comes first,” Southeast Missouri head coach Dickey Nutt said. “He’s a great kid. He’s got a great mom and dad. They’re all disappointed, but the bottom line is you’re a student first and then a basketball player.”
Martin played in just 11 games during his one season at UCF, and he wasn’t a player the Redhawks were counting on for major minutes/production this season so this isn’t a major loss. Senior Tyler Stone (15.5 ppg, 7.8 rpg) and junior Nino Johnson (11.1, 8.8) will once again lead the way inside for the Redhawks, who finished the 2012-13 season with a 17-16 record (8-8 OVC).
Southeast Missouri also adds small forwards Jarekious Bradley and Josh Langford (Auburn transfer; eligible at the end of the fall semester) to the rotation this season.
- Norman Powell sees defense, rebounding as keys for UCLA 0
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)