Oct 20, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Last Thursday, Trahson Burrell was on an official visit to Memphis, and on Sunday morning, he pledged a verbal commitment to Josh Pastner.
Burrell spent last season playing for Roy Champagne at Lee College, a junior college in Baytown, TX., where he averaged 13.7 ppg.
Like many junior college players, the road was a long one for Burrell to Memphis. Burrell, who hails from Albany, NY and played his prep school basketball St. Thomas More (CT) at Notre Dame Prep (MA), was supposed to be a class of 2011 recruit. He initially committed to the University of Rhode Island in October of 2010, but academic issues caused him to spend a year at CJEOTO Academy in New Jersey, and ultimately he did not matriculate at Rhode Island.
A 6-foot-7 swing forward, Burrell will fit into Memphis’ fast pace of play quite well. He told Grant Milner of @MemphisRoar: “I’m a high motor kind of guy. I’m just going to do whatever coach Pastner wants me to do.”
Burrell will have two years of eligibility remaining and will be eligible to play for Memphis beginning in the 2014-15 season.
This is the second commit that Memphis received from recruits attending “Memphis Madness” as Chris Hawkins, a 6-foot-5 small forward, committed yesterday.
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 0
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)