Oct 20, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Last Thursday, Trahson Burrell was on an official visit to Memphis, and on Sunday morning, he pledged a verbal commitment to Josh Pastner.
Burrell spent last season playing for Roy Champagne at Lee College, a junior college in Baytown, TX., where he averaged 13.7 ppg.
Like many junior college players, the road was a long one for Burrell to Memphis. Burrell, who hails from Albany, NY and played his prep school basketball St. Thomas More (CT) at Notre Dame Prep (MA), was supposed to be a class of 2011 recruit. He initially committed to the University of Rhode Island in October of 2010, but academic issues caused him to spend a year at CJEOTO Academy in New Jersey, and ultimately he did not matriculate at Rhode Island.
A 6-foot-7 swing forward, Burrell will fit into Memphis’ fast pace of play quite well. He told Grant Milner of @MemphisRoar: “I’m a high motor kind of guy. I’m just going to do whatever coach Pastner wants me to do.”
Burrell will have two years of eligibility remaining and will be eligible to play for Memphis beginning in the 2014-15 season.
This is the second commit that Memphis received from recruits attending “Memphis Madness” as Chris Hawkins, a 6-foot-5 small forward, committed yesterday.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)