Oct 20, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Last Thursday, Trahson Burrell was on an official visit to Memphis, and on Sunday morning, he pledged a verbal commitment to Josh Pastner.
Burrell spent last season playing for Roy Champagne at Lee College, a junior college in Baytown, TX., where he averaged 13.7 ppg.
Like many junior college players, the road was a long one for Burrell to Memphis. Burrell, who hails from Albany, NY and played his prep school basketball St. Thomas More (CT) at Notre Dame Prep (MA), was supposed to be a class of 2011 recruit. He initially committed to the University of Rhode Island in October of 2010, but academic issues caused him to spend a year at CJEOTO Academy in New Jersey, and ultimately he did not matriculate at Rhode Island.
A 6-foot-7 swing forward, Burrell will fit into Memphis’ fast pace of play quite well. He told Grant Milner of @MemphisRoar: “I’m a high motor kind of guy. I’m just going to do whatever coach Pastner wants me to do.”
Burrell will have two years of eligibility remaining and will be eligible to play for Memphis beginning in the 2014-15 season.
This is the second commit that Memphis received from recruits attending “Memphis Madness” as Chris Hawkins, a 6-foot-5 small forward, committed yesterday.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)