Oct 20, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Last Thursday, Trahson Burrell was on an official visit to Memphis, and on Sunday morning, he pledged a verbal commitment to Josh Pastner.
Burrell spent last season playing for Roy Champagne at Lee College, a junior college in Baytown, TX., where he averaged 13.7 ppg.
Like many junior college players, the road was a long one for Burrell to Memphis. Burrell, who hails from Albany, NY and played his prep school basketball St. Thomas More (CT) at Notre Dame Prep (MA), was supposed to be a class of 2011 recruit. He initially committed to the University of Rhode Island in October of 2010, but academic issues caused him to spend a year at CJEOTO Academy in New Jersey, and ultimately he did not matriculate at Rhode Island.
A 6-foot-7 swing forward, Burrell will fit into Memphis’ fast pace of play quite well. He told Grant Milner of @MemphisRoar: “I’m a high motor kind of guy. I’m just going to do whatever coach Pastner wants me to do.”
Burrell will have two years of eligibility remaining and will be eligible to play for Memphis beginning in the 2014-15 season.
This is the second commit that Memphis received from recruits attending “Memphis Madness” as Chris Hawkins, a 6-foot-5 small forward, committed yesterday.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)