Oct 21, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Chane Behanan was suspended indefinitely last Thursday by the University of Louisville for violation of University policy. Within days, the junior forward had repeated the violation, which caused head coach Rick Pitino to say Behanan could still earn his way back, though it was not probable.
On Monday afternoon, Behanan seemed to have a different point of view than his Hall of Fame coach, according to WDRB’s Bozich and Crawford. The 6-foot-6 forward told Rick Bozich and Eric Crawford that he was “positive” he could work earn his way back to the team, and that he had been “working hard” to get his spot back on the roster.
Behanan wandered into a Starbucks in the Highlands where Bozich and Crawford were working on Monday afternoon, wearing a pair of jeans and a Cincinnati Reds T-shirt.
He said he watched Saturday’s intrasquad scrimmage on television, and that he plans to begin reading Pitino’s new book, “The One-Day Contract” on Tuesday.
Bozich said, “I just saw you at media day a few days earlier and things looked good.”
Behanan replied, “Things happen.”
“I was never concerned about Chane the basketball player,” Pitino said during a press conference on Thursday. “He is extremely respectful. He’s a good guy. He’s a good teammate, and he’s an excellent basketball player. He just has a very difficult time understanding life’s values and significance of life’s values, and we’re going to try to help him along.
“We’re more interested in Chane the man than we are right now the basketball player. We want to see him prosper as a person as much as he has been prospering as a basketball player.”
Behanan averaged 9.8 points and 6.5 rebounds per game for the national champions this past season. In his absence, Wayne Blackshear and Stephen Van Treese will take on larger roles on the frontline, as will Montrezl Harrell, who is being projected as one of the breakout stars in college basketball this season. Akoy Agau also joins the program as a four-star recruit according to Rivals.
At the earliest, Behanan could return by mid-December.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)