Oct 21, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Marquette will begin the 2013-2014 season without freshman point guard Duane Wilson, the team announced Monday evening.
“Wilson has been diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left leg and will be evaluated on a consistent basis, but is expected to miss multiple weeks during the rehabilitation process,” a statement read, which was posted on the team’s Facebook page.
The 6-foot-2 Wilson was one of four, four-star commits in Marquette’s incoming class. With the freshman point guard sidelined, Buzz Williams only has two of those four-star recruits on the active roster. On Thursday, JuCo transfer Jameel McKay announced that he decided to leave the program.
Wilson was expected to play an important role in his first season with the Marquette back court looking much different than a season ago without Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Trent Lockett. Returner Derrick Wilson will run the offense with fellow junior Todd Mayo is also returning in the Marquette back court. The Golden Eagles will also get contributions from freshmen JuJuan Johnson and Deonte Burton. John Dawson, another 6-foot-2 freshman point guard, could also see minutes behind Derrick Wilson with Duane Wilson out injured.
Marquette is ranked No. 14 in the NBCSports.com Top 25. The Golden Eagles begin the season on Nov. 8 against reigning SWAC champion Southern.
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 3
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 5
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)