Oct 21, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Jayvaughn Pinkston had quite the health scare over the summer, as he underwent a pair of surgical procedures to help him recover from MRSA, a staph infection, in his leg. Zach Braziller of the NY Post has the details:
One morning, Villanova’s star junior forward couldn’t get out of bed, unable to put any weight on his right leg. He needed crutches to get around. His leg felt funny, like it was in a microwave overheated. Puss was oozing out of his calf and it was turning orange.
That does not sound pleasant.
The first procedure was simple: four small incisions in his leg to try to drain some of the puss, but that didn’t work so Pinkston had to undergo surgery. He now has a clean bill of health, but that shouldn’t downplay the seriousness of the matter.
MRSA, or Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, can be fatal. It’s not an exaggeration to say that if doctors hadn’t identified the infection as early as they did, Pinkston could have lost his leg. It’s the same infection that has plagued the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this season.
Pinkston missed a month worth of workouts and didn’t even touch a ball for three weeks, but assuming he can himself back into shape, he should be ready to go by the time the season begins.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 0
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)