Oct 22, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Maryland assistant coach Dalonte Hill was arrested this past Sunday for driving under the influence, along with four other charges.
This is not the first time or the second time Hill has been arrested for driving under the influence.
As a member of the staff at Kansas State in 2008, and earlier in his time with Maryland in 2011, Hill was arrested for driving under the influence.
The other charges were: attempting to drive a vehicle while impaired by alcohol; attempting to drive a vehicle while impaired by controlled dangerous substance; attempting to drive a vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol or alcohol and drugs; and failure to control vehicle speed on highway to avoid collision.
Hill will take a leave of absence from the Maryland basketball program effectively immediately, but has not been removed from the staff.
“I appreciate the support and encouragement I’ve received from Coach Turgeon and the athletic department,” Hill said in a release from the school. “But at this time it is in my best interest to take a leave of absence from the Maryland basketball program and focus my attention on some personal matters that need to be dealt with immediately.”
Said Turgeon: “We will support him through this process. We want him to focus on his personal life. Basketball is secondary at this point. His primary focus needs to be on his health and well-being.”
To further the issues surrounding Hill, he was ostensibly good friends and very close with Curtis Malone, the man who was arrested in DEA heroin investigation and co-founder and president of the D.C. Assault, an AAU basketball program.
According to an article from The Washington Post in September, Hill wrote a letter of support on behalf of Malone:
[Malone] “basically raised me” . . . “I wouldn’t have gone to college if not for him emphasizing how important it was for me to obtain a college degree.”
Considering this is the third time Hill has been arrested for driving under the influence, the timetable that he will be away from the program is unknown. As Turgeon stated, basketball is clearly secondary in Hill’s life at this time.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)