Oct 22, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
In an offseason that saw dozens of programs revamp the surface of their home floors with unique styles and colors, Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon would like to see his team return to Cole Field House, one of the most historically-filled gyms in the country. No, not permanently, but for a special game each season.
Located in the heart of Maryland’s campus, Cole Field House was home to Terrapins’ basketball from 1955 until 2002 when the Comcast Center opened. Currently, Cole Field House is being used for student intramurals and other activities, but Turgeon believes there is a great opportunity for it to generate more money for the university and interest in the program.
“The building’s sitting right there on campus,” Turgeon told The Washington Post. “A lot of people love it, and we could make money by using it. Why wouldn’t we?”
In this day and age where many college athletic departments — big and small alike — are seeking creative ways to generate additional revenue, hosting a game at Cole Field House may be an answer. Turgeon believes that a game during the holiday break in December and January when students are away from campus would make the most sense:
“Oh remember, Mom, Dad, we used to go to Cole Field House? Merry Christmas, here are two tickets, we’re going to watch Maryland play so-and-so. It’s a no-brainer. It’s an absolute no-brainer.”
In theory, this is a home run. Imagine if Kansas could turn back the clock and play a game at Allen Fieldhouse prior to the renovations, or if UCLA could play in the Pauley Pavilion that John Wooden coached in? Fans would jump at the opportunity.
Turgeon understands that minor upgrades may be needed in order for Cole Field House to be “up to code,” but the fact that the Maryland administration is behind this endeavor is a great sign.
Plus, last Friday, Maryland hosted their midnight madness at Cole Field House and, by all accounts, it was very successful.
Said Turgeon: “I don’t think there’s any question the administration is thinking the way I’m thinking as we move forward.”
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)