Oct 22, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
In an offseason that saw dozens of programs revamp the surface of their home floors with unique styles and colors, Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon would like to see his team return to Cole Field House, one of the most historically-filled gyms in the country. No, not permanently, but for a special game each season.
Located in the heart of Maryland’s campus, Cole Field House was home to Terrapins’ basketball from 1955 until 2002 when the Comcast Center opened. Currently, Cole Field House is being used for student intramurals and other activities, but Turgeon believes there is a great opportunity for it to generate more money for the university and interest in the program.
“The building’s sitting right there on campus,” Turgeon told The Washington Post. “A lot of people love it, and we could make money by using it. Why wouldn’t we?”
In this day and age where many college athletic departments — big and small alike — are seeking creative ways to generate additional revenue, hosting a game at Cole Field House may be an answer. Turgeon believes that a game during the holiday break in December and January when students are away from campus would make the most sense:
“Oh remember, Mom, Dad, we used to go to Cole Field House? Merry Christmas, here are two tickets, we’re going to watch Maryland play so-and-so. It’s a no-brainer. It’s an absolute no-brainer.”
In theory, this is a home run. Imagine if Kansas could turn back the clock and play a game at Allen Fieldhouse prior to the renovations, or if UCLA could play in the Pauley Pavilion that John Wooden coached in? Fans would jump at the opportunity.
Turgeon understands that minor upgrades may be needed in order for Cole Field House to be “up to code,” but the fact that the Maryland administration is behind this endeavor is a great sign.
Plus, last Friday, Maryland hosted their midnight madness at Cole Field House and, by all accounts, it was very successful.
Said Turgeon: “I don’t think there’s any question the administration is thinking the way I’m thinking as we move forward.”
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)