Oct 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Elijah Macon is proving to be quite a headache for the West Virginia coaching staff.
The No. 56 recruit in the Class of 2013, Macon has not yet been cleared to play by the NCAA, leaving open the possibility that he could be deemed a non-qualifier. That means he would take the Ben McLemore route, sitting out the 2013-2014 season, unable to practice until the second semester, as he works to get his grades up.
This isn’t the first time that schoolwork has caused trouble for Macon. He was originally supposed to enroll at West Virginia last season, but he needed a prep year to help improve his grades. The 6-foot-8 forward spent last season at Brewster Academy. Macon is also currently dealing with wrist and toe injuries that would likely keep him out of practice even if he was eligible.
And now Macon’s got legal issues to worry about. Macon was arrested after a disturbance in a Monongalia County courthouse. From the West Virginia Metro news:
The Dominion Post reported Macon was attending a hearing in magistrate court for his sister, Mekiiah, who had been arrested for malicious wounding. Macon reportedly became upset, went into the hallway and hit something loud enough to disrupt court.
Officers told Macon, a freshman, to calm down but he exited the building and continued yelling. After he crossed the street and continued yelling, officers arrested him for disorderly conduct.
“We’re aware of the situation, and the matter will be handled internally,” head coach Bob Huggins said in a statement.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)