Oct 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Elijah Macon is proving to be quite a headache for the West Virginia coaching staff.
The No. 56 recruit in the Class of 2013, Macon has not yet been cleared to play by the NCAA, leaving open the possibility that he could be deemed a non-qualifier. That means he would take the Ben McLemore route, sitting out the 2013-2014 season, unable to practice until the second semester, as he works to get his grades up.
This isn’t the first time that schoolwork has caused trouble for Macon. He was originally supposed to enroll at West Virginia last season, but he needed a prep year to help improve his grades. The 6-foot-8 forward spent last season at Brewster Academy. Macon is also currently dealing with wrist and toe injuries that would likely keep him out of practice even if he was eligible.
And now Macon’s got legal issues to worry about. Macon was arrested after a disturbance in a Monongalia County courthouse. From the West Virginia Metro news:
The Dominion Post reported Macon was attending a hearing in magistrate court for his sister, Mekiiah, who had been arrested for malicious wounding. Macon reportedly became upset, went into the hallway and hit something loud enough to disrupt court.
Officers told Macon, a freshman, to calm down but he exited the building and continued yelling. After he crossed the street and continued yelling, officers arrested him for disorderly conduct.
“We’re aware of the situation, and the matter will be handled internally,” head coach Bob Huggins said in a statement.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)