Oct 22, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Elijah Macon is proving to be quite a headache for the West Virginia coaching staff.
The No. 56 recruit in the Class of 2013, Macon has not yet been cleared to play by the NCAA, leaving open the possibility that he could be deemed a non-qualifier. That means he would take the Ben McLemore route, sitting out the 2013-2014 season, unable to practice until the second semester, as he works to get his grades up.
This isn’t the first time that schoolwork has caused trouble for Macon. He was originally supposed to enroll at West Virginia last season, but he needed a prep year to help improve his grades. The 6-foot-8 forward spent last season at Brewster Academy. Macon is also currently dealing with wrist and toe injuries that would likely keep him out of practice even if he was eligible.
And now Macon’s got legal issues to worry about. Macon was arrested after a disturbance in a Monongalia County courthouse. From the West Virginia Metro news:
The Dominion Post reported Macon was attending a hearing in magistrate court for his sister, Mekiiah, who had been arrested for malicious wounding. Macon reportedly became upset, went into the hallway and hit something loud enough to disrupt court.
Officers told Macon, a freshman, to calm down but he exited the building and continued yelling. After he crossed the street and continued yelling, officers arrested him for disorderly conduct.
“We’re aware of the situation, and the matter will be handled internally,” head coach Bob Huggins said in a statement.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)