Oct 23, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
One day after it was announced that Maryland assistant coach Dalonte Hill would take a leave of absence from the program, details have emerged regarding the events that led to his being arrested on charges including driving under intoxication.
In a story by Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun, a Howard County (Md.) police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn stated that Hill’s car struck a wooden electrical pole prior to his being stopped by law enforcement.
According to Sherry Llewellyn, Hill was questioned by an officer who was on duty in the vicinity of the Bottom of the Bay Seafood restaurant when she saw his truck hit the pole. The officer said that after talking with Hill, she smelled alcohol on his breath and observed other signs that he had been drinking.
Hill, 34, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, as well as failing to control a vehicle in order to avoid an accident. It was the third drunk driving charge against Hill in the past five years, and his second in 21 months. Hill has been ordered to appear in Howard County District Court on Jan. 17 at 9 a.m.
As was stated by many before the police report was made available, this could have been a whole lot worse for Hill. Hopefully the time away from coaching will allow Hill to properly address whatever the issue(s) may be.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)