Oct 23, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
One day after it was announced that Maryland assistant coach Dalonte Hill would take a leave of absence from the program, details have emerged regarding the events that led to his being arrested on charges including driving under intoxication.
In a story by Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun, a Howard County (Md.) police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn stated that Hill’s car struck a wooden electrical pole prior to his being stopped by law enforcement.
According to Sherry Llewellyn, Hill was questioned by an officer who was on duty in the vicinity of the Bottom of the Bay Seafood restaurant when she saw his truck hit the pole. The officer said that after talking with Hill, she smelled alcohol on his breath and observed other signs that he had been drinking.
Hill, 34, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, as well as failing to control a vehicle in order to avoid an accident. It was the third drunk driving charge against Hill in the past five years, and his second in 21 months. Hill has been ordered to appear in Howard County District Court on Jan. 17 at 9 a.m.
As was stated by many before the police report was made available, this could have been a whole lot worse for Hill. Hopefully the time away from coaching will allow Hill to properly address whatever the issue(s) may be.
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 0
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 0
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)