Oct 23, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
One day after it was announced that Maryland assistant coach Dalonte Hill would take a leave of absence from the program, details have emerged regarding the events that led to his being arrested on charges including driving under intoxication.
In a story by Don Markus of the Baltimore Sun, a Howard County (Md.) police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn stated that Hill’s car struck a wooden electrical pole prior to his being stopped by law enforcement.
According to Sherry Llewellyn, Hill was questioned by an officer who was on duty in the vicinity of the Bottom of the Bay Seafood restaurant when she saw his truck hit the pole. The officer said that after talking with Hill, she smelled alcohol on his breath and observed other signs that he had been drinking.
Hill, 34, was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, as well as failing to control a vehicle in order to avoid an accident. It was the third drunk driving charge against Hill in the past five years, and his second in 21 months. Hill has been ordered to appear in Howard County District Court on Jan. 17 at 9 a.m.
As was stated by many before the police report was made available, this could have been a whole lot worse for Hill. Hopefully the time away from coaching will allow Hill to properly address whatever the issue(s) may be.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)