Oct 23, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Head coach Joe Dooley made his first big splash on the recruiting trail on Monday, as the new Florida-Gulf Coast picked up a commitment from Miami native Zach Johnson.
Johnson, a 6-foot-1 combo-guard that played his AAU ball for Team Breakdown, is a three-star recruit, according to Rivals. He’s athletic enough to finish above the rim, and while he’s more of a scoring guard than a point guard at this point in his development, he still needs to work on his ability to shoot from the perimeter.
Earning a commitment from Johnson is notable from Dooley, as there were a few high-majors that were interested in him.
“I feel like it is a perfect for me,” Johnson told HoopSeen.com. “It is a great fit. The campus is amazing. It really couldn’t be a better situation for me.”
Johnson will join Christian Terrell in FGCU’s back court, who is also known for his aerial antics.
That #DunkCity moniker isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)