Oct 23, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Head coach Joe Dooley made his first big splash on the recruiting trail on Monday, as the new Florida-Gulf Coast picked up a commitment from Miami native Zach Johnson.
Johnson, a 6-foot-1 combo-guard that played his AAU ball for Team Breakdown, is a three-star recruit, according to Rivals. He’s athletic enough to finish above the rim, and while he’s more of a scoring guard than a point guard at this point in his development, he still needs to work on his ability to shoot from the perimeter.
Earning a commitment from Johnson is notable from Dooley, as there were a few high-majors that were interested in him.
“I feel like it is a perfect for me,” Johnson told HoopSeen.com. “It is a great fit. The campus is amazing. It really couldn’t be a better situation for me.”
Johnson will join Christian Terrell in FGCU’s back court, who is also known for his aerial antics.
That #DunkCity moniker isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)