Oct 23, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Head coach Joe Dooley made his first big splash on the recruiting trail on Monday, as the new Florida-Gulf Coast picked up a commitment from Miami native Zach Johnson.
Johnson, a 6-foot-1 combo-guard that played his AAU ball for Team Breakdown, is a three-star recruit, according to Rivals. He’s athletic enough to finish above the rim, and while he’s more of a scoring guard than a point guard at this point in his development, he still needs to work on his ability to shoot from the perimeter.
Earning a commitment from Johnson is notable from Dooley, as there were a few high-majors that were interested in him.
“I feel like it is a perfect for me,” Johnson told HoopSeen.com. “It is a great fit. The campus is amazing. It really couldn’t be a better situation for me.”
Johnson will join Christian Terrell in FGCU’s back court, who is also known for his aerial antics.
That #DunkCity moniker isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)