Oct 23, 2013, 9:53 AM EST
Head coach Joe Dooley made his first big splash on the recruiting trail on Monday, as the new Florida-Gulf Coast picked up a commitment from Miami native Zach Johnson.
Johnson, a 6-foot-1 combo-guard that played his AAU ball for Team Breakdown, is a three-star recruit, according to Rivals. He’s athletic enough to finish above the rim, and while he’s more of a scoring guard than a point guard at this point in his development, he still needs to work on his ability to shoot from the perimeter.
Earning a commitment from Johnson is notable from Dooley, as there were a few high-majors that were interested in him.
“I feel like it is a perfect for me,” Johnson told HoopSeen.com. “It is a great fit. The campus is amazing. It really couldn’t be a better situation for me.”
Johnson will join Christian Terrell in FGCU’s back court, who is also known for his aerial antics.
That #DunkCity moniker isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)