Oct 23, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
Head coach Joe Dooley made his first big splash on the recruiting trail on Monday, as the new Florida-Gulf Coast picked up a commitment from Miami native Zach Johnson.
Johnson, a 6-foot-1 combo-guard that played his AAU ball for Team Breakdown, is a three-star recruit, according to Rivals. He’s athletic enough to finish above the rim, and while he’s more of a scoring guard than a point guard at this point in his development, he still needs to work on his ability to shoot from the perimeter.
Earning a commitment from Johnson is notable from Dooley, as there were a few high-majors that were interested in him.
“I feel like it is a perfect for me,” Johnson told HoopSeen.com. “It is a great fit. The campus is amazing. It really couldn’t be a better situation for me.”
Johnson will join Christian Terrell in FGCU’s back court, who is also known for his aerial antics.
That #DunkCity moniker isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)