Oct 23, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
After returning to Cole Field House for the program’s midnight madness-style event on Friday night, Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon discussed the possibility of the Terrapins playing a regular season game at their old home. Now playing their home game at the Comcast Center, Maryland called Cole home from 1955 to 2002.
Who knows if the folks at Maryland will ultimately play a game at Cole, as there’s a need to make sure the arena is up to code before they’re able to do so. But if those renovations are made, there’s another possible game that should be considered for the old building.
On Wednesday UTEP head coach Tim Floyd announced that a plan is in the works to have the Miners take on Kentucky in 2016, fifty years after UTEP’s historic victory over the Wildcats in the national title game at Cole.
Known as Texas Western back in 1966, the Miners were the first national champion to have an all-black starting lineup and they won the crown against a program that had yet to integrate. The Miners’ victory was a watershed moment for both sports and American society as a whole, with the result changing the course of college basketball.
2016 is a long ways away, especially in the world of non-conference scheduling, so there’s always the chances that things could change. But hopefully this game will take place, as it can be a good learning experience for all involved. And three years could be the amount of time needed for the folks at Maryland to spruce up Cole Field House. While the primary reason for that would clearly be to benefit Maryland, it would be nice to see the Miners and Wildcats meet in the building where the original contest took place.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)