Oct 24, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
With senior Marshall Henderson (whenever head coach Andy Kennedy allows him to play in games) being Ole Miss’ most productive perimeter scorer, the Rebels were in line to add some perimeter scoring in their 2014 recruiting class. On Thursday the Rebels received a verbal commitment from Kilgore JC (Texas) guard Stefan Moody, who began his collegiate career at FAU.
The news was first reported by Hugh Kellenberger of the Clarion-Ledger.
The 5-foot-9 Moody earned Sun Belt Freshman of the Year honors last season, posting averages of 15.7 points and 4.2 rebounds per game for the Owls. But academic issues ultimately led to Moody being dismissed from the program, resulting his his landing at Kilgore.
“He was still getting used to the college academic environment,” Kilgore coach Brian Hoberecht said. “Stefan is a very mature person, has a great head on his shoulders and has a great demeanor on and off the court. … I think the people at Ole Miss will fall in love with this style of play and his demeanor and how he carries himself.”
Moody is Ole Miss’ third verbal commitment in the 2014 class, joining guard J.T. Escobar and forward Marcanvis Hymon. Of the perimeter players currently in the program who have eligibility remaining junior Jarvis Summers was the most productive offensively in 2012-13, as he averaged 9.1 points and 3.8 assists per game.
Even with players such as Summers, Ladarius White and Derrick Millinghaus all slated to return next season, Moody shouldn’t lack for opportunities to make an impact in 2014.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)