Oct 24, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
With senior Marshall Henderson (whenever head coach Andy Kennedy allows him to play in games) being Ole Miss’ most productive perimeter scorer, the Rebels were in line to add some perimeter scoring in their 2014 recruiting class. On Thursday the Rebels received a verbal commitment from Kilgore JC (Texas) guard Stefan Moody, who began his collegiate career at FAU.
The news was first reported by Hugh Kellenberger of the Clarion-Ledger.
The 5-foot-9 Moody earned Sun Belt Freshman of the Year honors last season, posting averages of 15.7 points and 4.2 rebounds per game for the Owls. But academic issues ultimately led to Moody being dismissed from the program, resulting his his landing at Kilgore.
“He was still getting used to the college academic environment,” Kilgore coach Brian Hoberecht said. “Stefan is a very mature person, has a great head on his shoulders and has a great demeanor on and off the court. … I think the people at Ole Miss will fall in love with this style of play and his demeanor and how he carries himself.”
Moody is Ole Miss’ third verbal commitment in the 2014 class, joining guard J.T. Escobar and forward Marcanvis Hymon. Of the perimeter players currently in the program who have eligibility remaining junior Jarvis Summers was the most productive offensively in 2012-13, as he averaged 9.1 points and 3.8 assists per game.
Even with players such as Summers, Ladarius White and Derrick Millinghaus all slated to return next season, Moody shouldn’t lack for opportunities to make an impact in 2014.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)