Oct 24, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
With senior Marshall Henderson (whenever head coach Andy Kennedy allows him to play in games) being Ole Miss’ most productive perimeter scorer, the Rebels were in line to add some perimeter scoring in their 2014 recruiting class. On Thursday the Rebels received a verbal commitment from Kilgore JC (Texas) guard Stefan Moody, who began his collegiate career at FAU.
The news was first reported by Hugh Kellenberger of the Clarion-Ledger.
The 5-foot-9 Moody earned Sun Belt Freshman of the Year honors last season, posting averages of 15.7 points and 4.2 rebounds per game for the Owls. But academic issues ultimately led to Moody being dismissed from the program, resulting his his landing at Kilgore.
“He was still getting used to the college academic environment,” Kilgore coach Brian Hoberecht said. “Stefan is a very mature person, has a great head on his shoulders and has a great demeanor on and off the court. … I think the people at Ole Miss will fall in love with this style of play and his demeanor and how he carries himself.”
Moody is Ole Miss’ third verbal commitment in the 2014 class, joining guard J.T. Escobar and forward Marcanvis Hymon. Of the perimeter players currently in the program who have eligibility remaining junior Jarvis Summers was the most productive offensively in 2012-13, as he averaged 9.1 points and 3.8 assists per game.
Even with players such as Summers, Ladarius White and Derrick Millinghaus all slated to return next season, Moody shouldn’t lack for opportunities to make an impact in 2014.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)