Oct 24, 2013, 9:03 PM EST
With leading scorer Elston Turner having graduated, Texas A&M junior forward Kourtney Roberson is one of the players who be asked to step up to account for the Aggies’ loss of their leading scorer from a season ago. The 6-foot-9 Roberson started 32 of Texas A&M’s 33 games in 2012-13, posting averages of 6.9 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.
Unfortunately for both Roberson and head coach Billy Kennedy the power forward will miss some time as A&M prepares for the upcoming season. On Thursday Roberson underwent a successful out-patient procedure, three days after experiencing a rapid heart rate during practice on Monday. While the school gave no timetable in regards to how long Roberson will be forced to sit, Texas A&M does expect Roberson to return to the floor this season.
“First and foremost, our concern is for Kourtney’s health and well-being” Kennedy said in the release. “We’ll make sure he gets all the support he needs and are hopeful that he will be back on the court for us very soon.”
Roberson’s absence is a tough blow for A&M, especially when considering how inexperienced the Aggies are inside. While Florida State transfer Antwan Space sits out the 2013-14 season per NCAA rules, the other options at Kennedy’s disposal are all freshmen. Center Dylan Johns and forwards Davonte Fitzgerald and Tavario Miller were all going to be needed this season, but the load they’ll have to carry could get even heavier if Roberson is out for an extended period of time.
But for all the chatter that can be had regarding the impact that Roberson’s absence can potentially have on Texas A&M, the most important thing is that the medical staff addressed this medical issue.
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)