Oct 24, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
There’s a weird story coming out of Norfolk, VA, today.
Trey Freeman is a point guard who transferred to Old Dominion after playing two seasons at Campbell. The reason? Freeman, who played his high school ball at Kellam High in Virginia Beach, wanted to be closer to home and his mother, who is sick.
The Monarchs are supposedly waiting on a ruling from the NCAA in the case, as Freeman is looking to get a waiver that would make him eligible immediately. It’s a standard hardship waiver, the kind that the NCAA has been handing out like Halloween candy in recent years.
But here’s the thing: According to Ed Miller of the Virginian-Pilot, the NCAA has already made their ruling on the matter.
But the NCAA issued a ruling on Freeman’s eligibility several weeks ago, a spokesman for the organization said by email Wednesday in response to questions from The Virginian-Pilot.
“… The school has been aware of the decision for several weeks,” wrote Christopher Radford, associate director of public and media relations. “You might want to double-check with the school.”
None of the officials at ODU contacted Wednesday would say whether the school had received a ruling and what the ruling was.
Through an athletic department spokesman, coach Jeff Jones said Wednesday that he did not have an update on Freeman’s status. In a text message Tuesday, Jones had indicated nothing “final” had been decided.
If I had to guess, I’d think that meant that Freeman’s waiver was denied and that ODU is doing whatever they can to appeal the decision.
Maybe they should just hire the guy that pushed for Josh Smith’s waiver. He seems to know how to work the system.
Freeman was second team all-Big South at Campbell last season after averaging 14.4 points and 5.8 assists.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)