Oct 24, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
There’s a weird story coming out of Norfolk, VA, today.
Trey Freeman is a point guard who transferred to Old Dominion after playing two seasons at Campbell. The reason? Freeman, who played his high school ball at Kellam High in Virginia Beach, wanted to be closer to home and his mother, who is sick.
The Monarchs are supposedly waiting on a ruling from the NCAA in the case, as Freeman is looking to get a waiver that would make him eligible immediately. It’s a standard hardship waiver, the kind that the NCAA has been handing out like Halloween candy in recent years.
But here’s the thing: According to Ed Miller of the Virginian-Pilot, the NCAA has already made their ruling on the matter.
But the NCAA issued a ruling on Freeman’s eligibility several weeks ago, a spokesman for the organization said by email Wednesday in response to questions from The Virginian-Pilot.
“… The school has been aware of the decision for several weeks,” wrote Christopher Radford, associate director of public and media relations. “You might want to double-check with the school.”
None of the officials at ODU contacted Wednesday would say whether the school had received a ruling and what the ruling was.
Through an athletic department spokesman, coach Jeff Jones said Wednesday that he did not have an update on Freeman’s status. In a text message Tuesday, Jones had indicated nothing “final” had been decided.
If I had to guess, I’d think that meant that Freeman’s waiver was denied and that ODU is doing whatever they can to appeal the decision.
Maybe they should just hire the guy that pushed for Josh Smith’s waiver. He seems to know how to work the system.
Freeman was second team all-Big South at Campbell last season after averaging 14.4 points and 5.8 assists.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)