Oct 25, 2013, 8:46 PM EDT
Early this month 2014 combo forward Ray Kasongo reportedly decided that he would attend Oregon, picking the Ducks over UConn. But within hours of making that decision Kasongo had a change of heart, announcing that he needed more time to make his decision.
On Friday Kasongo made that decision, re-committing to Oregon via his Twitter account.
Kasongo’s commitment caps a good day for Dana Altman’s program, with the NCAA clearing Houston transfer Joseph Young to play immediately. Young will help Oregon on the perimeter immediately, and in regards to Kasongo the hope is that the athletic forward will be ready to do the same when he arrives on campus next year.
Oregon loses three front court players, UNLV transfer Mike Moser and seniors Richard Amardi and Waverly Austin after this season. That means both Kasongo and junior college transfer Dwayne Benjamin (he’ll arrive in 2014 as well) will have the opportunity to earn significant playing time in 2014. Oregon has two other wings on the current roster in juniors Elgin Cook and Jalil Abdul-Bassit, and underclassmen Ben Carter (sophomore) and Jordan Bell (freshman) will factor into the Ducks’ plans as well.
Kasongo is Oregon’s third verbal commitment in the 2014 class, joining the aforementioned Benjamin and point guard Casey Benson.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)