Oct 25, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
One of the moments this offseason that startled the college basketball world was Brad Stevens’ decision on July 3 to leave Butler for the Boston Celtics, taking over for Doc Rivers as the leader of one of sports’ most storied franchises. But for all the attention that head coaching moves garner, rarely do we get to take an inside look at the decision-making process and the resulting emotions.
Zack Keefer of the Indianapolis Star put together a five-part story on that July day, giving readers a look into all aspect of the move. Viewpoints of the assistants who suddenly found themselves being interviewed for the open position, the players who would find out that the man they committed to play for would no longer be coaching them and athletic director Barry Collier are among the angles provided by Keefer.
So as Stevens sat in his office, telling him he’d accepted the Celtics offer, Collier knew the cold reality: A counteroffer did not exist.
Instead of raises or incentives or a new contract, they reminisced. To Stevens’ right hung a framed photo from the 2010 national championship game in Indianapolis, a memento of the unforgettable rise they shared. Before long, both were in tears.
“I had never seen Brad like that,” Collier says. “It was very, very emotional for both of us. And still is.”
The link to the series can be found here.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)