Oct 25, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
For the second consecutive season, George Mason junior forward Erik Copes will begin playing later than the rest of his teammates. On Friday the school announced that the 6-foot-8 Copes has been suspended for the Patriots’ first six games of the season due to a violation of athletic department policy.
Copes posted averages of 5.9 points and 6.0 rebounds per game in 2012-13, a season that began with a three-game suspension due to “student-athlete conduct violations.” Copes is the leading returning rebounder for a team that returns all five starters from last season, when the Patriots won 22 games and reached the finals of the CBI.
Copes started all 34 games in which he played last season, playing an average of 25 minutes per contest. In a loss to Towson on February 26 Copes accounted for 13 points and 15 rebounds, and about a month later he scored a season-high 14 points in George Mason’s win over the College of Charleston in the first round of the CBI.
Copes will miss games against American, Lamar, Northern Iowa, Saint Francis (PA), Iona and Princeton before making his season debut in a non-conference game against fellow Atlantic 10 member Rhode Island on November 30. That game was scheduled prior to the Patriots making their move from the CAA to the A-10, hence the “non-conference” designation.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)