Oct 25, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
With three of their expected perimeter contributors entering the 2013-14 season being seniors, the Minnesota Golden Gophers were in need of a point guard as head coach Richard Pitino looks to begin a successful run in the Twin Cities. While many held out hope that the program would be able to reel in highly regarded floor general Tyus Jones, the chances of that happening look to be slim (and that’s been the case for some time now, with many expecting Jones to be a “package deal” with big man Jahlil Okafor).
Friday afternoon the program received some good news, as 5-foot-10 point guard Nate Mason announced his decision to attend the Big Ten school. Mason is Minnesota’s second commitment in the 2014 class, joining power forward Josh Martin.
According to Scout.com Mason picked Minnesota over Virginia and Kansas State. Mason’s a native of Georgia, but he currently attends Montrose Christian Academy in Maryland. Last season as a junior at Shiloh HS in Snellville, Ga., Mason helped lead the team to a 23-8 record and his ability to put points on the board has led to some comparing him to former College of Charleston guard Andrew Goudelock.
With Minnesota losing Maverick Ahanmisi, Austin Hollins and FIU transfer Malik Smith at the end of the 2013-14 season, Mason’s ability to make things happen will be a welcome addition to the program. And with forward Reid Travis taking his official visit to Minnesota this weekend, Golden Gopher fans are hoping for more good news on the recruiting trail this weekend.
Here are some highlights of Mason in action.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)