Oct 25, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
With three of their expected perimeter contributors entering the 2013-14 season being seniors, the Minnesota Golden Gophers were in need of a point guard as head coach Richard Pitino looks to begin a successful run in the Twin Cities. While many held out hope that the program would be able to reel in highly regarded floor general Tyus Jones, the chances of that happening look to be slim (and that’s been the case for some time now, with many expecting Jones to be a “package deal” with big man Jahlil Okafor).
Friday afternoon the program received some good news, as 5-foot-10 point guard Nate Mason announced his decision to attend the Big Ten school. Mason is Minnesota’s second commitment in the 2014 class, joining power forward Josh Martin.
According to Scout.com Mason picked Minnesota over Virginia and Kansas State. Mason’s a native of Georgia, but he currently attends Montrose Christian Academy in Maryland. Last season as a junior at Shiloh HS in Snellville, Ga., Mason helped lead the team to a 23-8 record and his ability to put points on the board has led to some comparing him to former College of Charleston guard Andrew Goudelock.
With Minnesota losing Maverick Ahanmisi, Austin Hollins and FIU transfer Malik Smith at the end of the 2013-14 season, Mason’s ability to make things happen will be a welcome addition to the program. And with forward Reid Travis taking his official visit to Minnesota this weekend, Golden Gopher fans are hoping for more good news on the recruiting trail this weekend.
Here are some highlights of Mason in action.
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 0
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)