Oct 25, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
With three of their expected perimeter contributors entering the 2013-14 season being seniors, the Minnesota Golden Gophers were in need of a point guard as head coach Richard Pitino looks to begin a successful run in the Twin Cities. While many held out hope that the program would be able to reel in highly regarded floor general Tyus Jones, the chances of that happening look to be slim (and that’s been the case for some time now, with many expecting Jones to be a “package deal” with big man Jahlil Okafor).
Friday afternoon the program received some good news, as 5-foot-10 point guard Nate Mason announced his decision to attend the Big Ten school. Mason is Minnesota’s second commitment in the 2014 class, joining power forward Josh Martin.
According to Scout.com Mason picked Minnesota over Virginia and Kansas State. Mason’s a native of Georgia, but he currently attends Montrose Christian Academy in Maryland. Last season as a junior at Shiloh HS in Snellville, Ga., Mason helped lead the team to a 23-8 record and his ability to put points on the board has led to some comparing him to former College of Charleston guard Andrew Goudelock.
With Minnesota losing Maverick Ahanmisi, Austin Hollins and FIU transfer Malik Smith at the end of the 2013-14 season, Mason’s ability to make things happen will be a welcome addition to the program. And with forward Reid Travis taking his official visit to Minnesota this weekend, Golden Gopher fans are hoping for more good news on the recruiting trail this weekend.
Here are some highlights of Mason in action.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)