Oct 25, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
With the news that Joshua Smith was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA earlier this week, many wondered who else would be in line to benefit from such a measure before the start of the 2013-14 season.
Friday morning the Oregon Ducks received the good news regarding junior guard Joseph Young, adding a prolific scorer to an already solid perimeter rotation.
As a sophomore Young averaged 18.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game at Houston, earning third team All-Conference USA honors. He’ll join a rotation that already included the trio of Dominic Artis, Damyean Dotson and Johnathan Loyd, with Detroit transfer Jason Calliste being the other transfer to join the program this summer.
Young left Houston after his father, former Cougar great Michael Young, was reassigned by the school after serving as the director of basketball operations. Michael would in turn sue the school, and that issue may have helped Joseph receive this waiver in the end.
Already a contender in the Pac-12, Oregon’s perimeter rotation will be tough to match. If front court players such as UNLV transfer Mike Moser, Waverly Austin, Ben Carter and Richard Amardi can hold their own in the paint, the Ducks have a shot at winning their first regular season conference title since 2002.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)