Oct 25, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
With the news that Joshua Smith was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA earlier this week, many wondered who else would be in line to benefit from such a measure before the start of the 2013-14 season.
Friday morning the Oregon Ducks received the good news regarding junior guard Joseph Young, adding a prolific scorer to an already solid perimeter rotation.
As a sophomore Young averaged 18.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game at Houston, earning third team All-Conference USA honors. He’ll join a rotation that already included the trio of Dominic Artis, Damyean Dotson and Johnathan Loyd, with Detroit transfer Jason Calliste being the other transfer to join the program this summer.
Young left Houston after his father, former Cougar great Michael Young, was reassigned by the school after serving as the director of basketball operations. Michael would in turn sue the school, and that issue may have helped Joseph receive this waiver in the end.
Already a contender in the Pac-12, Oregon’s perimeter rotation will be tough to match. If front court players such as UNLV transfer Mike Moser, Waverly Austin, Ben Carter and Richard Amardi can hold their own in the paint, the Ducks have a shot at winning their first regular season conference title since 2002.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)