Oct 25, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
With the news that Joshua Smith was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA earlier this week, many wondered who else would be in line to benefit from such a measure before the start of the 2013-14 season.
Friday morning the Oregon Ducks received the good news regarding junior guard Joseph Young, adding a prolific scorer to an already solid perimeter rotation.
As a sophomore Young averaged 18.0 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game at Houston, earning third team All-Conference USA honors. He’ll join a rotation that already included the trio of Dominic Artis, Damyean Dotson and Johnathan Loyd, with Detroit transfer Jason Calliste being the other transfer to join the program this summer.
Young left Houston after his father, former Cougar great Michael Young, was reassigned by the school after serving as the director of basketball operations. Michael would in turn sue the school, and that issue may have helped Joseph receive this waiver in the end.
Already a contender in the Pac-12, Oregon’s perimeter rotation will be tough to match. If front court players such as UNLV transfer Mike Moser, Waverly Austin, Ben Carter and Richard Amardi can hold their own in the paint, the Ducks have a shot at winning their first regular season conference title since 2002.
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season 2
- Memphis loss shouldn’t feed narrative about Josh Pastner, big games 0
- Casey Prather’s star turn a boon for Florida 1
- South Florida holds on as Florida Gulf Coast’s buzzer-beater in double overtime doesn’t count (VIDEO) 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings: Shabazz tops the list again 1
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)
- Difference between Kentucky, ’12 title team: role players? (5)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (5)