Oct 25, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
When St. John’s took the court for their Red Storm Tip-Off tonight they were without an important piece. Earlier Friday the school announced that sophomore center Chris Obekpa has been suspended for two games due to a violation of university policy.
The two games will be the Red Storm’s exhibitions against San Francisco State and Humboldt State, meaning that Obekpa won’t miss any regular season action as a result. As a result of the suspension Obekpa was also held out of tonight’s event.
“We expect our student-athletes to conduct themselves in a responsible manner in representing St. John’s University,” head coach Steve Lavin said in the release. “Chris understands this suspension can serve as a learning experience.”
As a freshman Obekpa was the nation’s best shot blocker, leading the country in rejections with an average of 4.0 blocks per game. His 133 for the season set records for both the school and the Big East. The good news for the Red Storm is that they will have him back when they open the regular season against Wisconsin on November 8.
The Red Storm were picked to finish 5th in the Big East this season, but with the return of all five starters (including guard D’Angelo Harrison, who was suspended for the remainder of the 2012-13 season in early March) and the addition of freshman guard Rysheed Jordan and senior forward Orlando Sanchez they have the pieces needed to outperform that prognostication.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Getting Kansas State to the NCAA tournament earned Bruce Weber an extension.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Jim Christian wins his first recruiting battle as the head coach at BC.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
What Early Entry decisions will have the biggest impact on the 2014-2015 college basketball season?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT
The next big thing to come from Canada isn’t going to be all that big.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Big Ten regular season champion has lost two underclassmen to the NBA draft with the possibility of a third departure as well.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee was a marriage that needed to end. On Tuesday, it did.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Cal dipped into SEC territory to land their new head coach.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Miami investigation keeps getting more embarrassing for the NCAA.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
The future Kentucky Wildcat had an impressive showing at the Hoop Summit last weekend.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Gonzaga is close to landing the son of another legend of the 80s
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
He lies to the NBA?
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)