Oct 26, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
While we’ve gone over the many different ways that America’s elite college basketball programs entice fans to Midnight Madness-style celebrations, one of the more original ideas in recent years was Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard — and a few Seton Hall students — taking on hot dog eating champion Kobayashi as they did last night.
Willard, who was introduced as “The lean and mean Kevin Willard”, wasn’t quite the competition that Kobayashi is used to facing when he collides with professional eaters like Joey Chestnut and Tim “Eater X” Janus, but Willard made up for it by sipping red wine and using Grey Poupon on his hot dog while he watched the Japanese eating machine devour hot dogs at an alarming rate. The facial expressions of Willard and everyone else watching Kobayashi eat during the 60-second contest is hilarious.
Kobayashi was also asked to take down a gallon of milk in under 60 seconds (what’s next, the “Cinnamon Challenge”, Seton Hall?) and opted instead to finish about half of the gallon before defiantly throwing the rest of the gallon away in a very college-party-like move on his part.
My three favorite random parts of this video:
- The people dressed up in hot dog costumes and blue face paint during the introductions.
- The Seton Hall Pirates mascot attempting to put the napkin in Willard’s shirt near the 30-second mark.
- The ignored high-five at the five-minute mark when Kobayashi doesn’t return the favor.
(H/T: Thuzio NYC)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)