Oct 26, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
While we’ve gone over the many different ways that America’s elite college basketball programs entice fans to Midnight Madness-style celebrations, one of the more original ideas in recent years was Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard — and a few Seton Hall students — taking on hot dog eating champion Kobayashi as they did last night.
Willard, who was introduced as “The lean and mean Kevin Willard”, wasn’t quite the competition that Kobayashi is used to facing when he collides with professional eaters like Joey Chestnut and Tim “Eater X” Janus, but Willard made up for it by sipping red wine and using Grey Poupon on his hot dog while he watched the Japanese eating machine devour hot dogs at an alarming rate. The facial expressions of Willard and everyone else watching Kobayashi eat during the 60-second contest is hilarious.
Kobayashi was also asked to take down a gallon of milk in under 60 seconds (what’s next, the “Cinnamon Challenge”, Seton Hall?) and opted instead to finish about half of the gallon before defiantly throwing the rest of the gallon away in a very college-party-like move on his part.
My three favorite random parts of this video:
- The people dressed up in hot dog costumes and blue face paint during the introductions.
- The Seton Hall Pirates mascot attempting to put the napkin in Willard’s shirt near the 30-second mark.
- The ignored high-five at the five-minute mark when Kobayashi doesn’t return the favor.
(H/T: Thuzio NYC)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)