Oct 26, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
While we’ve gone over the many different ways that America’s elite college basketball programs entice fans to Midnight Madness-style celebrations, one of the more original ideas in recent years was Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard — and a few Seton Hall students — taking on hot dog eating champion Kobayashi as they did last night.
Willard, who was introduced as “The lean and mean Kevin Willard”, wasn’t quite the competition that Kobayashi is used to facing when he collides with professional eaters like Joey Chestnut and Tim “Eater X” Janus, but Willard made up for it by sipping red wine and using Grey Poupon on his hot dog while he watched the Japanese eating machine devour hot dogs at an alarming rate. The facial expressions of Willard and everyone else watching Kobayashi eat during the 60-second contest is hilarious.
Kobayashi was also asked to take down a gallon of milk in under 60 seconds (what’s next, the “Cinnamon Challenge”, Seton Hall?) and opted instead to finish about half of the gallon before defiantly throwing the rest of the gallon away in a very college-party-like move on his part.
My three favorite random parts of this video:
- The people dressed up in hot dog costumes and blue face paint during the introductions.
- The Seton Hall Pirates mascot attempting to put the napkin in Willard’s shirt near the 30-second mark.
- The ignored high-five at the five-minute mark when Kobayashi doesn’t return the favor.
(H/T: Thuzio NYC)
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)