Oct 26, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
While we’ve gone over the many different ways that America’s elite college basketball programs entice fans to Midnight Madness-style celebrations, one of the more original ideas in recent years was Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard — and a few Seton Hall students — taking on hot dog eating champion Kobayashi as they did last night.
Willard, who was introduced as “The lean and mean Kevin Willard”, wasn’t quite the competition that Kobayashi is used to facing when he collides with professional eaters like Joey Chestnut and Tim “Eater X” Janus, but Willard made up for it by sipping red wine and using Grey Poupon on his hot dog while he watched the Japanese eating machine devour hot dogs at an alarming rate. The facial expressions of Willard and everyone else watching Kobayashi eat during the 60-second contest is hilarious.
Kobayashi was also asked to take down a gallon of milk in under 60 seconds (what’s next, the “Cinnamon Challenge”, Seton Hall?) and opted instead to finish about half of the gallon before defiantly throwing the rest of the gallon away in a very college-party-like move on his part.
My three favorite random parts of this video:
- The people dressed up in hot dog costumes and blue face paint during the introductions.
- The Seton Hall Pirates mascot attempting to put the napkin in Willard’s shirt near the 30-second mark.
- The ignored high-five at the five-minute mark when Kobayashi doesn’t return the favor.
(H/T: Thuzio NYC)
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 0
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)