Oct 27, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
With Will Spradling, Omari Lawrence and Shane Southwell all being seniors this season, the Kansas State Wildcats can use some additional backcourt depth in 2014. On Saturday night the program received a verbal commitment from 6-foot-5 combo guard Tre Harris, a native of Edwardsville, Ill. who currently attends Fishburne Military Academy in Virginia.
Harris is a good perimeter shooter, but he was lightly recruited before making the decision to attend Fishburne after graduating from Edwardsville High school. As a senior there Harris averaged 17 points, 9.1 rebounds and 2.3 steals per game on a team that finished with a 31-3 record, but the majority of recruiting attention he received came from mid-major programs. Ultimately the decision to attend prep school paid off for Harris, who picked Kansas State over Delaware and Toledo.
“I liked everything about Kansas State,” Harris told Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle. “Coach (Bruce) Weber and his coaching staff are some guys who know what they are doing. The school has had success and is coming off the Big 12 championship. It’s a good spot in a good conference in the highest level in the country. That is probably what got me here.”
Harris is the second verbal commitment in the 2014 class for head coach Bruce Weber, joining junior college forward Stephen Hurt. And one could count Maine transfer Justin Edwards in the class as well, since he won’t be eligible to play until next season per NCAA transfer rules. Outside of the three seniors mentioned above and junior Nino Williams, Kansas State will have five freshmen competing for playing time on the perimeter with Jevon Thomas not being eligible for game action until the end of the fall semester.
The Wildcat backcourt will consist primarily of underclassmen next season, with Harris looking to compete for minutes when he arrives on campus.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)