Oct 27, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
After being dismissed from the Cincinnati basketball program in May 2012 for off-court issues, 6-foot-10 forward Octavius Ellis made the move to Trinity Valley CC in Texas in hopes of getting his career back on track. Ellis’ time at Cincinnati wasn’t particularly smooth, with a hand injury and a six-game suspension ultimately leading to his playing just four games as a Bearcat (1.8 ppg, 1.2 rpg).
But at Trinity Valley Ellis has proven to be a valuable player, as he posted averages of 13.1 points and 7.7 rebounds per game last season. On Sunday Ellis verbally committed to attend Arizona State, giving the Sun Devils some needed interior depth for the 2014-15 season as they’re due to lose starting center Jordan Bachynski at the end of the upcoming campaign.
According to Hod Rabino of Devils Digest, Ellis took an official visit to the school last week.
“Arizona State plays in the Pac-12 and it’s a good conference to play in,” Ellis said. “I like it that they are on the West Coast and have such a great coaching staff. I liked everything I saw on the visit, the weight room, the (basketball) facility, the whole campus and meeting with the coaches and players.”
While Bachynski (9.8 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 3.4 bpg) is the biggest personnel loss the Sun Devils will definitely have to account for in the front court after this season (grad student Richie Edwards being the other), the 7-footer was one of the most improved players in the Pac-12in 2012-13. Ellis averaged more than three blocks per game at Trinity Valley last season, and that’s an area the Sun Devils can use some production in with Bachynski on the way out.
Ellis’ best performance last season came in a 75-64 win over Panola JC on February 20, in which he tallied 25 points, 12 rebounds and seven blocked shots.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)