Oct 27, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
Mitch McGary enters as one of the best big men in the country, though he has been sidelined with a lower back condition since September. The Michigan Wolverines open the season on Nov. 8 against UMass Lowell. However, it’s unclear if McGary will play, as no timetable has been set for a return.
“I really don’t have any pain,” McGary told reporters during Michigan’s media day on Thursday, according to Brendan Quinn of MLive.com. “I’ve never really had any pain. It’s just a little condition that I was dealing with, but right now I’m day-to-day and I’m feeling great. There’s no timetable for me being back. We’re just being cautious right now and we’ll see what happens in the future.”
Head coach John Beilein added that his sophomore forward is showing “great progress.” The 6-foot-10 McGary is the key piece in the front court and despite the setback, Beilein believes McGary will return to the floor with no limitations.
“We are very optimistic about him having a complete season — I mean of him being able to play and do everything,” Beilein told MLive.com last Friday.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)