Oct 27, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
P.J. Hairston’s offseason was well-documented, as the North Carolina junior guard couldn’t stay out of trouble. Even though it is unclear when Hairston will take the floor this season, he did appear in front of the Tar Heel faithful in uniform on Friday night for the program’s annual Late Night with Roy.
Despite his off-the-court issues this summer, Hairston drew the loudest ovation from the fans inside the Dean Dome during player introductions according to Andrew Carter of the News & Observer. The cheers only continued for Hairston during the Blue vs. White scrimmage with Hairston — who led the Tar Heels with 14.6 points per game last season — leading all scorers with 20 points during the 20-minute scrimmage that ended in a 50-50 tie.
“I think it was something that he [Hairston] probably appreciated,” North Carolina head coach Roy Williams told reporters on Friday night. “I did, too. He’s had a tough, tough time – the majority of it caused by himself. But he still has had a tough, tough time. And I liked the way he just came out and waved at everybody and touched his heart.
“It wasn’t any gyrations or any dancing, pounding his chest kind of thing.”
Hairston was not made available to the media.
On Sept. 26, Hairston was cleared to practice, although Williams has yet to announce how many games he will miss. Williams added that the NCAA will have some say in the suspension. The Tar Heels could end up playing Louisville in the fifth game of the season. That potential matchup will be followed by a game at Michigan State on Dec. 4 — part of the Big Ten-ACC Challenge — and a home game against Kentucky on Dec. 14.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)