Oct 27, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
P.J. Hairston’s offseason was well-documented, as the North Carolina junior guard couldn’t stay out of trouble. Even though it is unclear when Hairston will take the floor this season, he did appear in front of the Tar Heel faithful in uniform on Friday night for the program’s annual Late Night with Roy.
Despite his off-the-court issues this summer, Hairston drew the loudest ovation from the fans inside the Dean Dome during player introductions according to Andrew Carter of the News & Observer. The cheers only continued for Hairston during the Blue vs. White scrimmage with Hairston — who led the Tar Heels with 14.6 points per game last season — leading all scorers with 20 points during the 20-minute scrimmage that ended in a 50-50 tie.
“I think it was something that he [Hairston] probably appreciated,” North Carolina head coach Roy Williams told reporters on Friday night. “I did, too. He’s had a tough, tough time – the majority of it caused by himself. But he still has had a tough, tough time. And I liked the way he just came out and waved at everybody and touched his heart.
“It wasn’t any gyrations or any dancing, pounding his chest kind of thing.”
Hairston was not made available to the media.
On Sept. 26, Hairston was cleared to practice, although Williams has yet to announce how many games he will miss. Williams added that the NCAA will have some say in the suspension. The Tar Heels could end up playing Louisville in the fifth game of the season. That potential matchup will be followed by a game at Michigan State on Dec. 4 — part of the Big Ten-ACC Challenge — and a home game against Kentucky on Dec. 14.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)