Oct 27, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Steve Fisher landed his fourth commit, continuing to add to the success he’s had on the recruiting trail for his program’s Class of 2014.
South Mountain High (Ariz.) small forward Zylan Cheatham, ranked No. 73 overall in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, committed to San Diego State during a press conference at the Arizona Prep Fall Showcase in Scottsdale on Saturday night.
He was also considering New Mexico and Washington. According to Zeigler, he appeared to be leaning towards New Mexico, following his trip to the Lobos’ midnight madness. Last Tuesday, Fisher met with Cheatham to sway his decision.
“And then Coach Fisher said something,” Cheatham told Mark Zeigler of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “He said: ‘When you close your eyes and dream at night, where do you see yourself?’ That overwhelmed me. That basically took over the process for me … When I was there on my visit, I never forgot that feeling I had. It felt like home. I just knew it was the right place for me.”
The 6-foot-7 small forward is the third commit in the class that ranks in the Rivals150. Each of Fisher’s four commits are all rated as three-star or better, including five-star forward Malik Pope from Laguna Creek High (Calif.), who committed earlier in October. Brewster Academy (N.H.) point guard Kevin Zabo became the first commit in August, followed by Saint Augustine High (Calf.) shooting guard Trey Kell, who picked San Diego State at the beginning of the month.
Cheatham transferred back to South Mountain this season, and is currently waiting for a decision regarding his eligibility to play this season.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)