Oct 28, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Loyola Marymount had some scary news happen to its program during the week as they announced that seniors Godwin Okonji and Ayodeji Egbeyemi will be out indefinitely while recovering from the effects of a car accident.
Okonji, a 6-foot-8 forward and Egbeyemi, a 6-foot-4 guard were involved in an accident on October 20th on the way to practice and CBSSports.com’s Matt Norlander reports that according to the school, the accident happened around 7:30 a.m., as the teammates were riding to practice. They were released later that day and the news wasn’t released on the duo’s status until Friday.
“We are very thankful that both Godwin and Ayodeji are doing well and were able to come home following the accident,” LMU coach Max Good said in a statement. “While they are doing well, both suffered various levels of injuries that will take time to heal. In talking with our doctors, we feel Ayodeji should be back soon, while we will have to wait and see on the condition of Godwin. He suffered injuries to his left leg that will require further examination from his doctors. At this time, we are just thankful that they are with us.”
Loyola Marymount had a subpar ’12-13 season and finished 11-23 and 1-15 in the WCC before winning three straight in the WCC Tournament and losing in the semifinals to the No. 1 team in the country, Gonzaga.
Okonji averaged 4.9 points, 3.8 rebounds last season, while Egbeyemi put up 10.6 points, 6.0 rebounds per contest.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)