Oct 28, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Loyola Marymount had some scary news happen to its program during the week as they announced that seniors Godwin Okonji and Ayodeji Egbeyemi will be out indefinitely while recovering from the effects of a car accident.
Okonji, a 6-foot-8 forward and Egbeyemi, a 6-foot-4 guard were involved in an accident on October 20th on the way to practice and CBSSports.com’s Matt Norlander reports that according to the school, the accident happened around 7:30 a.m., as the teammates were riding to practice. They were released later that day and the news wasn’t released on the duo’s status until Friday.
“We are very thankful that both Godwin and Ayodeji are doing well and were able to come home following the accident,” LMU coach Max Good said in a statement. “While they are doing well, both suffered various levels of injuries that will take time to heal. In talking with our doctors, we feel Ayodeji should be back soon, while we will have to wait and see on the condition of Godwin. He suffered injuries to his left leg that will require further examination from his doctors. At this time, we are just thankful that they are with us.”
Loyola Marymount had a subpar ’12-13 season and finished 11-23 and 1-15 in the WCC before winning three straight in the WCC Tournament and losing in the semifinals to the No. 1 team in the country, Gonzaga.
Okonji averaged 4.9 points, 3.8 rebounds last season, while Egbeyemi put up 10.6 points, 6.0 rebounds per contest.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)