Oct 28, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Loyola Marymount had some scary news happen to its program during the week as they announced that seniors Godwin Okonji and Ayodeji Egbeyemi will be out indefinitely while recovering from the effects of a car accident.
Okonji, a 6-foot-8 forward and Egbeyemi, a 6-foot-4 guard were involved in an accident on October 20th on the way to practice and CBSSports.com’s Matt Norlander reports that according to the school, the accident happened around 7:30 a.m., as the teammates were riding to practice. They were released later that day and the news wasn’t released on the duo’s status until Friday.
“We are very thankful that both Godwin and Ayodeji are doing well and were able to come home following the accident,” LMU coach Max Good said in a statement. “While they are doing well, both suffered various levels of injuries that will take time to heal. In talking with our doctors, we feel Ayodeji should be back soon, while we will have to wait and see on the condition of Godwin. He suffered injuries to his left leg that will require further examination from his doctors. At this time, we are just thankful that they are with us.”
Loyola Marymount had a subpar ’12-13 season and finished 11-23 and 1-15 in the WCC before winning three straight in the WCC Tournament and losing in the semifinals to the No. 1 team in the country, Gonzaga.
Okonji averaged 4.9 points, 3.8 rebounds last season, while Egbeyemi put up 10.6 points, 6.0 rebounds per contest.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 22
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 5
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (27)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)