Oct 28, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Loyola Marymount had some scary news happen to its program during the week as they announced that seniors Godwin Okonji and Ayodeji Egbeyemi will be out indefinitely while recovering from the effects of a car accident.
Okonji, a 6-foot-8 forward and Egbeyemi, a 6-foot-4 guard were involved in an accident on October 20th on the way to practice and CBSSports.com’s Matt Norlander reports that according to the school, the accident happened around 7:30 a.m., as the teammates were riding to practice. They were released later that day and the news wasn’t released on the duo’s status until Friday.
“We are very thankful that both Godwin and Ayodeji are doing well and were able to come home following the accident,” LMU coach Max Good said in a statement. “While they are doing well, both suffered various levels of injuries that will take time to heal. In talking with our doctors, we feel Ayodeji should be back soon, while we will have to wait and see on the condition of Godwin. He suffered injuries to his left leg that will require further examination from his doctors. At this time, we are just thankful that they are with us.”
Loyola Marymount had a subpar ’12-13 season and finished 11-23 and 1-15 in the WCC before winning three straight in the WCC Tournament and losing in the semifinals to the No. 1 team in the country, Gonzaga.
Okonji averaged 4.9 points, 3.8 rebounds last season, while Egbeyemi put up 10.6 points, 6.0 rebounds per contest.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)