Oct 28, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Mitch McGary is officially out for Michigan’s exhibition opener against Concordia University on Tuesday night as the All-American candidate continues to miss significant time this preseason with a back injury.
The 6-foot-10 sophomore forward is being held out according to a story Monday night from MLive with what Michigan head coach John Beilein said is a lower back condition.
There is no timeframe on McGary’s return at the current moment.
“That’ll depend a lot on what the doctors do with more checkups, but the progress has been great,” Beilein said to MLive.
Losing McGary for the early part of the season isn’t the worst thing for Michigan as they return Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford and sophomore Max Bielfeldt logged some bench minutes as well last season.
McGary broke out during the NCAA Tournament last season and although back injuries can be worrisome, he won’t be logging heavy minutes or getting knocked around early in the season if he misses any more time.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)