Oct 28, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Mitch McGary is officially out for Michigan’s exhibition opener against Concordia University on Tuesday night as the All-American candidate continues to miss significant time this preseason with a back injury.
The 6-foot-10 sophomore forward is being held out according to a story Monday night from MLive with what Michigan head coach John Beilein said is a lower back condition.
There is no timeframe on McGary’s return at the current moment.
“That’ll depend a lot on what the doctors do with more checkups, but the progress has been great,” Beilein said to MLive.
Losing McGary for the early part of the season isn’t the worst thing for Michigan as they return Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford and sophomore Max Bielfeldt logged some bench minutes as well last season.
McGary broke out during the NCAA Tournament last season and although back injuries can be worrisome, he won’t be logging heavy minutes or getting knocked around early in the season if he misses any more time.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)