Oct 28, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Mitch McGary is officially out for Michigan’s exhibition opener against Concordia University on Tuesday night as the All-American candidate continues to miss significant time this preseason with a back injury.
The 6-foot-10 sophomore forward is being held out according to a story Monday night from MLive with what Michigan head coach John Beilein said is a lower back condition.
There is no timeframe on McGary’s return at the current moment.
“That’ll depend a lot on what the doctors do with more checkups, but the progress has been great,” Beilein said to MLive.
Losing McGary for the early part of the season isn’t the worst thing for Michigan as they return Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford and sophomore Max Bielfeldt logged some bench minutes as well last season.
McGary broke out during the NCAA Tournament last season and although back injuries can be worrisome, he won’t be logging heavy minutes or getting knocked around early in the season if he misses any more time.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)