Oct 28, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
Mitch McGary is officially out for Michigan’s exhibition opener against Concordia University on Tuesday night as the All-American candidate continues to miss significant time this preseason with a back injury.
The 6-foot-10 sophomore forward is being held out according to a story Monday night from MLive with what Michigan head coach John Beilein said is a lower back condition.
There is no timeframe on McGary’s return at the current moment.
“That’ll depend a lot on what the doctors do with more checkups, but the progress has been great,” Beilein said to MLive.
Losing McGary for the early part of the season isn’t the worst thing for Michigan as they return Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford and sophomore Max Bielfeldt logged some bench minutes as well last season.
McGary broke out during the NCAA Tournament last season and although back injuries can be worrisome, he won’t be logging heavy minutes or getting knocked around early in the season if he misses any more time.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)