Oct 28, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Mitch McGary is officially out for Michigan’s exhibition opener against Concordia University on Tuesday night as the All-American candidate continues to miss significant time this preseason with a back injury.
The 6-foot-10 sophomore forward is being held out according to a story Monday night from MLive with what Michigan head coach John Beilein said is a lower back condition.
There is no timeframe on McGary’s return at the current moment.
“That’ll depend a lot on what the doctors do with more checkups, but the progress has been great,” Beilein said to MLive.
Losing McGary for the early part of the season isn’t the worst thing for Michigan as they return Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford and sophomore Max Bielfeldt logged some bench minutes as well last season.
McGary broke out during the NCAA Tournament last season and although back injuries can be worrisome, he won’t be logging heavy minutes or getting knocked around early in the season if he misses any more time.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)