Oct 29, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Arizona had their first exhibition game of the season on Monday night, and as you might expect, the Wildcats smoked Division II Augustana 84-52.
New point guard T.J. McConnell finished with 12 points, eight assists and five steals and Nick Johnson and Gabe York chipped in with 14 points apiece.
But that’s not the big news from the game. Aaron Gordon’s groin is.
Sean Miller’s blue chip freshman played just four minutes in the second-half and, according to Miller, didn’t look like his usual self.
“He has a groin strain and we didn’t want to take any chances, so we didn’t want to take any chances in the second half and sat him for an extended time,” Miller told reporters after the game.
Gordon still managed to play 22 minutes, but he only finished with seven points and five boards.
The injury doesn’t seem serious, but given Gordon’s immense talent and his importance to this Arizona team, it’s an injury that will be worth monitoring.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)