Oct 29, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Arizona had their first exhibition game of the season on Monday night, and as you might expect, the Wildcats smoked Division II Augustana 84-52.
New point guard T.J. McConnell finished with 12 points, eight assists and five steals and Nick Johnson and Gabe York chipped in with 14 points apiece.
But that’s not the big news from the game. Aaron Gordon’s groin is.
Sean Miller’s blue chip freshman played just four minutes in the second-half and, according to Miller, didn’t look like his usual self.
“He has a groin strain and we didn’t want to take any chances, so we didn’t want to take any chances in the second half and sat him for an extended time,” Miller told reporters after the game.
Gordon still managed to play 22 minutes, but he only finished with seven points and five boards.
The injury doesn’t seem serious, but given Gordon’s immense talent and his importance to this Arizona team, it’s an injury that will be worth monitoring.
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)