Oct 29, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden will form an athletic duo for Kansas that will show no pity on rims and backboards this season, as both are more than capable of powerful dunks.
Bill Self even altered his game plan against Texas Tech during Wiggins’ official visit to show the nation’s top prospect how many alley-oops he would catch if he chose the Jayhawks. There will be plenty of dunks, but the Kansas head coach will look for his dynamic freshman duo to score in other ways this season.
“We won’t do it a ton and change how we play, but we gotta get (Wiggins) and Selden opportunities to catch the ball in the post, because they could be two of our very best post players,” Self told Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star on Monday.
Wiggins and Selden, two projected NBA lottery picks for the 2014 draft, give the Jayhawks one of the nation’s top perimeter attacks this season. Although Kansas lost Jeff Withey, the front court is still promising. Perry Ellis returns on the frontline after coming on late in his freshman season. The sophomore averaged 5.8 points and 3.9 rebounds per game, and had a big 23-point performance against Iowa State in the Big 12 tournament last season. He’ll be joined by impact newcomers Joel Embiid and Tarik Black as well as fellow sophomore Jamari Traylor.
Adding Wiggins, even for a possession or two, will help add scoring depth to that front court. Self mentioned he never had a wing with the ability to score in the post like Wiggins can.
Kansas opens the regular season on Nov. 8 against Louisiana-Monroe.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)