Oct 29, 2013, 9:01 PM EST
Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden will form an athletic duo for Kansas that will show no pity on rims and backboards this season, as both are more than capable of powerful dunks.
Bill Self even altered his game plan against Texas Tech during Wiggins’ official visit to show the nation’s top prospect how many alley-oops he would catch if he chose the Jayhawks. There will be plenty of dunks, but the Kansas head coach will look for his dynamic freshman duo to score in other ways this season.
“We won’t do it a ton and change how we play, but we gotta get (Wiggins) and Selden opportunities to catch the ball in the post, because they could be two of our very best post players,” Self told Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star on Monday.
Wiggins and Selden, two projected NBA lottery picks for the 2014 draft, give the Jayhawks one of the nation’s top perimeter attacks this season. Although Kansas lost Jeff Withey, the front court is still promising. Perry Ellis returns on the frontline after coming on late in his freshman season. The sophomore averaged 5.8 points and 3.9 rebounds per game, and had a big 23-point performance against Iowa State in the Big 12 tournament last season. He’ll be joined by impact newcomers Joel Embiid and Tarik Black as well as fellow sophomore Jamari Traylor.
Adding Wiggins, even for a possession or two, will help add scoring depth to that front court. Self mentioned he never had a wing with the ability to score in the post like Wiggins can.
Kansas opens the regular season on Nov. 8 against Louisiana-Monroe.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)