Oct 29, 2013, 9:01 PM EST
Andrew Wiggins and Wayne Selden will form an athletic duo for Kansas that will show no pity on rims and backboards this season, as both are more than capable of powerful dunks.
Bill Self even altered his game plan against Texas Tech during Wiggins’ official visit to show the nation’s top prospect how many alley-oops he would catch if he chose the Jayhawks. There will be plenty of dunks, but the Kansas head coach will look for his dynamic freshman duo to score in other ways this season.
“We won’t do it a ton and change how we play, but we gotta get (Wiggins) and Selden opportunities to catch the ball in the post, because they could be two of our very best post players,” Self told Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star on Monday.
Wiggins and Selden, two projected NBA lottery picks for the 2014 draft, give the Jayhawks one of the nation’s top perimeter attacks this season. Although Kansas lost Jeff Withey, the front court is still promising. Perry Ellis returns on the frontline after coming on late in his freshman season. The sophomore averaged 5.8 points and 3.9 rebounds per game, and had a big 23-point performance against Iowa State in the Big 12 tournament last season. He’ll be joined by impact newcomers Joel Embiid and Tarik Black as well as fellow sophomore Jamari Traylor.
Adding Wiggins, even for a possession or two, will help add scoring depth to that front court. Self mentioned he never had a wing with the ability to score in the post like Wiggins can.
Kansas opens the regular season on Nov. 8 against Louisiana-Monroe.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)