Oct 29, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Kevin Ware has had a promising month of October. Earlier in the month, he was cleared to participate in basketball workouts, followed by Louisville head coach Rick Pitino saying his junior guard would suit up for the Cardinals’ regular season opener against the College of Charleston on Nov. 9.
Pitino did not specify if Ware would see any action against Charleston, but a return to the floor with the rest of the defending national champions could come soon. Pitino told the media on Monday that Ware could be back to live team practice as early as the end of the week.
“He’s healed. He’s healed,” Pitino said according to Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal. “His leg is as good as your leg or my leg.”
On Oct. 4, Pitino mentioned that although Ware may be on track to return physically, he’ll still have to get past his injury mentally as well. However on Monday, Pitino sounded confident in Ware’s overall recovery.
“I don’t think he’s going to be bothered too much psychologically,” Pitino added . “He wants to get out there and play. I think he’ll be OK.”
Louisville has played a series of three Red vs. White scrimmages during October. On Tuesday night the Cardinals take on their first opponent of the preseason in an exhibition game against Kentucky Wesleyan.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)