Oct 29, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Kevin Ware has had a promising month of October. Earlier in the month, he was cleared to participate in basketball workouts, followed by Louisville head coach Rick Pitino saying his junior guard would suit up for the Cardinals’ regular season opener against the College of Charleston on Nov. 9.
Pitino did not specify if Ware would see any action against Charleston, but a return to the floor with the rest of the defending national champions could come soon. Pitino told the media on Monday that Ware could be back to live team practice as early as the end of the week.
“He’s healed. He’s healed,” Pitino said according to Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal. “His leg is as good as your leg or my leg.”
On Oct. 4, Pitino mentioned that although Ware may be on track to return physically, he’ll still have to get past his injury mentally as well. However on Monday, Pitino sounded confident in Ware’s overall recovery.
“I don’t think he’s going to be bothered too much psychologically,” Pitino added . “He wants to get out there and play. I think he’ll be OK.”
Louisville has played a series of three Red vs. White scrimmages during October. On Tuesday night the Cardinals take on their first opponent of the preseason in an exhibition game against Kentucky Wesleyan.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)